On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Closure

The sale of our house in New York was finalized today. Of course I'm relieved--we certainly didn't want to pay the mortgage any more, but it makes the move to Norway seem that much more final. We don't have any idea yet of how long we'll be in Norway, and even if we repatriate to the U.S. in the next couple of years, it will most likely not be back to the dismal job market/floundering economy of central New York, but still.... I love that house and it is hard to say good bye!
We bought the 1880 Victorian in 2002 and then spent the next 3 1/2 years renovating it. The house had been a Catholic rectory for its first 110 years, and then a private family home for the next 10. It was in rather sorry shape when we first laid eyes on it, but I immediately fell in love. (Poor Kevin wasn't as convinced, I think he had a more realistic grasp on how expensive and time consuming home repair can be!) I learned how to swing a sledge hammer and the art of painting hundreds of little gingerbread mouldings, and Kevin perfected his plumbing, drywalling, carpentry and tiling skills. By the time the house was finally picture perfect, Kevin had received the promotion that would require us to relocate to Norway. The house went on the market, sold mercifully quickly and easily, and last week we signed and shipped all the papers and the keys so that the new buyers could close today.
Oh well, the new buyers seem lovely and I believe that they will cherish and care for the house as we did. And we are now living in another big, old house in need of some TLC, at the edge of the forest in Norway. More about that later...

6 Comments:

  • At Fri Oct 27, 01:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah!!!! I'm so happy you started this blog. I love reading about the Viking adventures of you and Kevin. Can't wait for Steve and I to come over and be baptized as Vikings :) - Jen

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 02:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I must admit, Emily, I am very proud of you and Kevin. Also a bit jealous. Can't wait to read more stuff. Hopefully some pics from your halloween party too. Hope to see you soon. Good Luck!! Craig, Katrin and James

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 04:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cool!Keep living it up! I love hearing about your experiences.~Amanda

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 07:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How fun! I must admit, I don't really understand these blogs...but I love the newsletters (so I'll try to check the blog now!). Hope all is well - safe travels back to the U.S. in a few weeks. We hope to come over and visit someday soon, as well! Go vikings!

    - Kari and John (California)

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 04:30:00 PM, Blogger My Ming Mei said…

    I am happy to see you joinging the bloggin world. It really is a great way to keep everyone updated. I have also been a fan of the newsletter, but I am also going to enjoy seeing it evolve into this blog.

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 04:59:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Yay, I'm so happy you guys have read my first little foray into the world of blogging! Thanks for the support, Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home