On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dead Inside




Yesterday I went to an art gallery with a friend. The gallery is housed inside the oldest building in Gjøvik which was originally a glass blowing factory. Is it wrong that I found the old building (and the gorgeous red tree outside the building) more moving than the art inside? Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with me, but art galleries generally leave me cold. I love Van Gogh (but only his later work, the early paintings which imitate the Dutch masters do nothing for me) but that's kind of where my list of art that I appreciate ends. I have been to the National Gallery in Oslo several times because everyone who has visited us has wanted to go, but other than one Solberg painting, my favorite part of the National Gallery is the architecture of the building itself. Art brings such joy and inspiration to so many people, yet I'm all "meh" when I look at it...I'm dead inside, I tell you!

4 Comments:

  • At Thu Oct 25, 08:32:00 PM, Blogger K said…

    It's ok Emily, I secretly feel the same way about opera. The wailing, the foreign language (even if it's Spanish I never understand a word), the inexplicably itchy seats - nothing about it appeals to me. So do what I do - lie :)

     
  • At Fri Oct 26, 05:35:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    yeah, don't feel bad. Art galleries dont do it for me either. I'm so not-cultured. :-)

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 01:52:00 AM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    I'll third that - I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to any art gallery or museum, I just hate that stuff. Give me a Janet Evanovich novel and some Law & Order any day; that's my kind of culture!

    Liz, shallow and not ashamed of it

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Ok, good to know I'm not alone in my lack of cultural appreciation! Thanks for that! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home