On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Dinner and a Movie

Last night , Kevin and I decided to go to a movie. I was so excited--I think the last movie I saw in a theater was "Lady in the Water", which left a lot to be desired! Luckily, movies take a long time to get to Norway, so movies that were in American theaters in August when we left are just arriving here. I had wanted to see "Little Miss Sunshine" for awhile and it just opened here last night, so we decided to squander all the money we made from the sale of the New York house on dinner and a movie. (Sadly, I'm only kidding a little--that sandwich and waffle pictured above cost about $30!)
We tried to go to a Chinese restaurant, but we don't eat red meat or poultry and it didn't look like there were any vegetable or seafood options at the restaurant. This was the third Chinese restaurant we've tried and none of them seemed to have veggie lo mein or really any dishes that we recognized. So we went to a little cafeteria close to the theater where I happily grabbed a piece of cake (if given the choice between good nutrition and sugar, I will choose sugar every single time!) and Kevin got a waffle and sandwich. The strange thing about sandwiches in Norway is that they are all open-faced. It's too bad, Norwegian bread is the best bread I've ever tasted, but wow, are they ever stingy about doling it out! And when a sandwich is piled high with veggies and shrimp, but without a top slice of bread to hold everything in, eating it becomes a fork and knife affair.
After dinner, we bought our movie tickets. The lady at the counter pointed to the seat numbers on the tickets and then to a map of the theater--huh? Apparently in Norway (or at least in our little corner of Norway) movie theater seating is assigned. We found our seats in the second to the last row in the theater. Then a couple more people shuffled in and sat down...directly in front of us. In the end, there were 9 of us in the whole theater, all clustered together in the back 3 rows. I was not pleased, but even though the theater was practically empty, I was just not rebel enough to reseat myself. Oh well, the movie was great, so funny, and I had a big bucket of popcorn, so I can't complain too much.
I was really excited about getting popcorn--it seems like there is always a plethora of pork rinds available at carnivals and movie theaters here, but popcorn is a little more scarce. I've never seen so many bacon products in one city before--even the health conscious field house sells hot dogs wrapped in bacon! I wonder which Norwegian treat packs more calories--a bacon wrapped hot dog or a slice of French fry pizza?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home