On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Changes

I couldn't say anything before I knew that Kevin's coworkers had all been informed (just in case any of them reads this blog) but the announcement was made yesterday, so now I can announce it here:
WE'RE MOVING BACK TO THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!!
Norway is a lovely country, but I have been incredibly homesick pretty much the whole time we have lived here. I really tried to grin and bear it for the sake of Kevin's career, but over the last couple of months, it became apparent that he wasn't happy living abroad either. He loves his job, but was willing to give it up in order to move back to the U.S. again. Luckily for him, he won't have to...after a long talk with his boss, it has been decided that he can continue in his role as CFO from the New York office (although he will have to travel to Norway 1 or 2 weeks every month with occasional trips to Asia).
Originally, we were supposed to go to Vancouver together this Friday, but with the new developments, we'll be going to New York instead to look for a house in the Finger Lakes area. Beautiful lakes, wineries, in close proximity to so many wonderful people...I can't wait. It's crazy, everything is happening so fast that my head is kind of spinning, but in a good way! Every so often, I remember some random little thing that I have missed since we moved to Norway and I get excited all over again. (A good example is Diet Coke--Coca Cola Light just doesn't taste the same. And don't even get me started about free soda refills in restaurants! See, I'm all giddy and screechy all over again, just thinking of the beverage possibilities!)
Anyway, assuming we do find a house next week, it will probably take at least 2 months to close, so I'm guessing we won't move until November or December. I'm glad I still have some time to have a few more Norwegian adventures, and once we move, I plan to travel back to Norway occasionally with Kevin too. I still want to travel above the Arctic Circle, I want to check out the islands along the southern coast, I want to see polar bears on Svalbard. More than anything, though, I want to go home, and it looks like that wish is coming true very soon!

17 Comments:

  • At Wed Aug 22, 03:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YIPPEE!!!! I couldn't be more happier to have one of my bestest buds back on stateside soil :)

    PS - I keep meaning to tell you. Carlos O'Kelly's is no longer so we won't be able to experience that delicacy on our upcoming IC jaunt....

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 09:51:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Jen, thanks! But what happened to Carlos? They were always so crazy busy...and their salsa was little bowls of tomato, onion and cilantro tinged heaven. Oh, so sad. What's plan B, because you know a weekend in IC just isn't the same without margaritas! Emily

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Roam2Rome said…

    Congrats! I guess... Yes, I spent several months in Norway thanks to a wonderful Norwegian I met in Italy.

    Enjoy the remaining stay in Norway!

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 08:00:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    I'm going to miss reading about your adventures in Norway and with things and people and customs Norwegian, Emily, as well as all of your gorgeous photos!

    Nevertheless, congratulations on getting to move back home!

    Will you keep blogging?

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 09:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emily..I'm happy to hear of your upcoming return to the good ole USA..I'm sure it was hard to be so far from home, and family and friends..no matter how many new friends you made in Norway. I have to admit I will miss your wonderful blogs and pictures of Norway, but since you said you will be returning occasionally,I'm sure I'll see more here and there. Thanks for the beautiful insight to my great grandmothers homeland..I've really enjoyed it. Best of luck always!!
    Rosemary

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Thanks, everyone! I have mixed feelings about leaving, of course, but I'm really excited about the future. And Keera, I don't know if I'll continue blogging once I move--the central New York area is really pretty, but it's not Norway! I do plan to get very involved with the local animal shelter and also to possibly get my vet tech degree so that I can be of service at the low cost spay/neuter clinic in the area, so if I do keep writing, animal welfare (and tons of cute animal pictures) will probably be the focus. (Not that I didn't write about and take pictures of tons of critters here in Norway!) Emily

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Hi Emily, I just read this post and am surprised and happy (for you) and sad (for Norway and for your faithful blog readers). Wow, moving home. And you might live near wineries? Wow. That sounds pretty fabulous. No wonder you're happy. Like Keera, though, I'm going to miss reading your blog. Think about keeping it up, please!

    Congratulations to you and Kevin. :-)

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 06:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Em,
    yeah! glad you are coming home -- and hope to catch up on your Norwegian adventures. Vet tech degree, eh? Good luck with the move home, the changes, and all that good stuff. I don't know if John and I will make it to IC for the big homecoming party -- I am sadly swamped at work. But, we will make it a priority to try and come up to visit soon!! ahh, in general, we're bad about visiting all of our friends who live east of Tahoe/Reno, NV.... but we will try to get better. I hope you had a wonderful bday! :)

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 08:47:00 AM, Blogger Victoria said…

    I was wondering when you were going to make the announcement!!! I'm very excited (and a bit jealous) for you! I think I would feel much the same way if I found out tomorrow we were being sent home. Crazy excited and I think somehow liberated or something - things just feel so much easier at home (or at least the thought of it - but you know how you can get that grass is greener thing going on). :-)
    Anyway, I also hope you get will continue blogging. (Blogging about animal welfare is always a good thing!) I really feel I've gotten to know you through your blog and through our e-mails. You guys should really consider a trip to Stavanger before you move back. I've got a bed and a cocktail with your name on it. :-)

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Michele, thanks, hopefully we can still meet up in Oslo sometime before I go!
    Kari, once I'm back in the U.S., if you don't make it out to NY, I'll try to get out to SF (although it would be easiest if we could just see each other in IA!):)
    Victoria, I definitely want to see Stavanger, and I do enjoy cocktails...

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Ooohh, I'm sensing a cocktail party at Victoria's! :-)

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Anytime!!! We love a good get together. Did I mention that we actually have three extra beds??? Nothing but room!
    Actually in all seriousness - how funny would that be - a party with people you have never met but only talked to on the internet. Liz should come too! :-)
    Ok wait - haven't I read stories about talking to people on the internet and it turns out they are like some 60 year old, greasy, balding perv?? ewwww!

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    All I can think now is that I really need to go on a shopping trip and buy some cute new clothes if I'm going to meet my internet friends in person! Yes, I am actually that lame...
    Emily

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 02:47:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    I'll come too, sure - I'll even get someone to swear on my behalf that I'm a 31 year old non-greasy, non-perv female, if you want. :p

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Kehla said…

    But...but...I wanna come to the party!

    But I'm in Indiana, so I'll just have to settle for a CONGRATS EMILY! Good luck finding an awesome house, and if my vote counts for anything, you MUST keep blogging.

    Cheers!

     
  • At Thu Aug 23, 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, ha ha, I'm pretty sure Kevin will vouch for me too, hopefully!
    K, thanks, I do enjoy writing, so maybe I will. I love reading about all the quirkiness you run into in Indiana, and I think what with all the freak propane explosions and very unique characters that inhabit central New York, I might have some tales to tell...Emily

     
  • At Tue Aug 28, 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Astrid said…

    Hi Emily!! What a surprise reading this post! I'll miss reading your observations about all our quircky norwegian ways of living and see all your lovely photos.

    Good luck with the moving and please keep up the blogging!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home