On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Friday, August 17, 2007

A Year Has Passed

A year ago today, we arrived in Norway, excited to begin our new life here. I'm a bit of a technophobe, so I had no idea what a blog was back then. Instead, to keep friends and family up to date with our progress, I sent out emails which I dubbed "Norsk Newsletters." In celebration of a year spent here (wow, has it really been that long?) I thought I'd share some excerpts from those first bewildered letters with you--I think I've actually come a long way!

"We live at the very edge of town, surrounded by forest. It is a gorgeous setting, but something screams in the woods every night. I don’t know what it is, a wild cat, a screech owl, a troll? Whatever it is, it is loud, and the dogs barking madly at it are even louder, so the whole living on the edge of civilization hasn’t been quite as peaceful as I had hoped! Oh well, hopefully whatever it is will hibernate this winter!"

"Kevin and I went to a dinner at the inn owned by his company. The main course was reindeer—eek! I discreetly filled my plate with potatoes and vegetables, but the portly man sitting next to me bellowed, “You didn’t take any reindeer!!!! Don’t you eat reindeer?” I almost replied that I would rather eat Santa Claus himself than Comet or Cupid or Rudolph, but I restrained myself. I tried to explain to him why I don’t eat meat, but the poor guy just looked perplexed as he shoveled heaping forkfuls of reindeer meat into his mouth. I turned back to my plate and fervently hoped that dessert wouldn’t be tooth fairy soufflé with Easter bunny sauce!"

"Our furniture arrived in the container. The truck driver had quite a time maneuvering the huge semi backwards up our very long, narrow and twisty driveway. By the time he finally reached our house, several small trees and our lamp post lay in his wake. When he parked, the movers jumped out. There was an American, a Pole and a German. The company is owned by a Norwegian, but it is most cost efficient for him to hire foreign labor. Hmm, an American from San Francisco is considered cheap labor here! I was very amused at how frightened the movers were of spiders. There was a small spider web on our tent, and the German was sure it must belong to a black widow, or some other terribly poisonous American spider! I had to carry the stupid tent to the garage, as none of them would touch it. It was an interesting move—the American drank many beers while he worked, and then had the brilliant idea to burn all the packing material, instead of hauling it away as was contracted. I came out of the kitchen to find a huge bonfire going in our front yard, the plastic bubble wrap producing some toxic fumes. When he noticed that I was more than a little unhappy about the situation, the American suggested that I could use the huge charred spot in the lawn as a barbeque pit. Great idea, and if I ever decide to grill a moose, I now have the perfect spot!"

"I visited the vet last week to establish Kermit and Honey as patients. I think that Norwegian vet care will be the one area where we will actually save money. There are no heartworms in Norway, and for the most part, no fleas either. The vet did explain that there are no dog or cat fleas, but the birds and “the little roly-poly animals” have fleas that can occasionally jump onto dogs. Of course I had to figure out what these little roly-poly animals were, so the vet and I engaged in a game of charades, and finally I correctly guessed hedgehogs!"

"I have been talked into trying a couple traditional Norwegian dishes. (No, not lutefisk, I don’t think that will ever happen!) I had a taste of sour cream porridge, and yes, it is as terrible as it sounds. Even with loads of cinnamon and sugar on it, wow, that is definitely an acquired taste! I accidentally tried fiskekake—it looked like cheese so I took a bite. I’m not a big fan of tofu, and fiskekake has the gelatinous consistency of tofu with a creepy, fishy taste. Really unpleasant stuff! I have tried the infamous brown cheese. It’s okay, I guess, if you like your cheese nutty and sweet, which I don’t!"

Hmm, maybe I haven't actually come that far...I'm still not a fan of the brown cheese or fish cakes, I haven't ever tried lutefisk (although I have had a couple of unpleasant rakfisk enounters) and when I think of reindeer, I still think of Rudolph, not dinner. I have no idea what was making that racket in the middle of the night, but after experiencing all the birds twittering in the middle of the night this summer, I'm guessing it was some sort of an avian screech. The grass has grown back in our yard after the scorching of 2006 and our yard has occasionally provided munchies for a moose family, but I haven't seen a single hedgehog. I'm still looking, though! It's been a year of highs and lows, and in the end, I'm grateful for the experience.

7 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 19, 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Great post, Emily! Congratulations on making it through your first year as a stranger in a strange land. "A year of highs and lows." Sing it, sista! :-)

    Your story about the movers cracked me up. I can't believe they knocked over a light post and then actually burned rubbish on your lawn. OMG. That's not funny--of course not--but your story is funny. And it's all about the stories, right?

    Really enjoyed this post.

     
  • At Mon Aug 20, 01:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Em,
    What an adventure! it must be an awesome feeling to look back at all that has happened in Norway. So...you're coming home soon, huh? Yippie! I promise, John and I will come out to Upstate NY to see you -- we're a bit bummed we didn't make it to Norway, but glad to hear you're coming back. Anyway --- cheerio...

    kari

     
  • At Mon Aug 20, 08:02:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Brunost is delish! And lutefisk well-done is perfectly doable. But after your descriptions, I've decided not to try rakfisk.

    At any rate: Gratulerer med årsdagen! Happy anniversary!

     
  • At Tue Aug 21, 08:26:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Michele, thanks, in retrospect the movers were very funny...I just hope the movers hired for our return trip are a little more competent!
    Kari, when you come to New York, we can go skiing and I can feed you pickled herring--it will be just like Norway for a fraction of the cost!
    Keera, good call on the rakfisk! I still can't get on board with the brown cheese, and have heard that Norwegian teens generally refuse to eat it now. Maybe they have discovered that cheddar is better?
    Emily

     
  • At Tue Aug 21, 03:14:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Here's the thing: Brown cheese isn't meant to be used like cheddar, it's the Norwegian equivalent of peanut butter. I.e. sweet stuff you put on a simple sandwich or crackers, and something everyone has in their fridge. It's a staple of the matpakke (the Norwegian version of brown bag lunches), alongside regular cheese (Swiss, Jarlsberg etc) and I don't think the younger generations are giving it up anytime soon either.

    Although the matpakke is getting less popular now that there are so many other options (for older students and people in cities, at least). Hot lunches are slowly catching on somewhat, or at least whatever one can grab at Deli de Luca or similar...

    Liz

     
  • At Tue Aug 21, 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Yes, about the brown cheese... Ian's niece in England can't get enough of the stuff---she loves it! He has to take two big packages of it every time he goes out to see his family. She's six. Me, I like it but only in moderation and eaten just as Liz describes, on toast with jordbær syltetøy. Hmm, that actually sounds good to me right now... :-)

     
  • At Wed Aug 22, 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    We have some in our fridge because Kevin likes it and every once in a while, I'll try it again, just in case I was wrong the last 25 times...maybe I'll acquire a taste for it some day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home