On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Brrrr

We have now lived in Norway for almost a year, and in the past 50 weeks, there is a sentence I haven't uttered once. I have never ever in our time here complained, "I'm too hot!" I used to complain about being too hot on a regular basis in the U.S. I can be a touch overdramatic at times, and I might, once upon a time, have even shrieked that I was melting, or something to that effect. When I was in grad school in Iowa City, my crappy apartment didn't have air conditioning, and on one particularly balmy evening (106 Fahrenheit at 10 PM) I may have even had a Scarlett O'Hara-esque tantrum, shaking my sweaty fist at the sky and yelling, "As God as my witness, I'll never live without central air again!" Well, we have no air conditioning here and I have never needed it (although there have been a few times this summer that I would have loved to have fired up the furnace). We're on our way out the door to see a movie and I'm wearing jeans and a sweater. Not a lightweight, short-sleeved summer sweater, but a heavy cable-knit garment. It's August and I'm wearing wool! (In case anyone was concerned that Kevin no longer gets to hear my constant bitching and moaning about being too hot, never fear, I still bitch and moan to him, now I just complain, "I'm too cold!")

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Aug 04, 10:35:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Well, you missed out on the (relative) heat in July last year - when my studio apartment, which of course has no A/C, was pushing 80 degrees inside, and I was miserable. I too bitch endlessly when I'm too hot...or cold! So July is one of the few months when I never want to go to, say, Boston, yep.

     
  • At Mon Aug 06, 06:52:00 AM, Blogger Tim said…

    Yes, last summer was a nice one here. Too bad you missed that one. But who knows how next summer will be. It's a shot in the air.

    I was also reading Aftenposten and they said that this was Norway's wettest year in 70 years. Oi . . .

     
  • At Mon Aug 06, 10:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can always move to the Gulf coast here in Florida where it's always 80 or 90 in the summer, or 70 or 80 in the winter—one or two weeks in January it's 65 or 75. Boooooring...
    Dad

     
  • At Mon Aug 06, 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hmm, all my complaining about the cold, and the last couple of days have been very warm, and so humid that my hair has taken on a crazed, frizzed out life of its own. The difference a few days make here! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home