On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Surrounded



Lately, we have been under surveillance...the cute little kitty above has been spying on us. She sits on a stump outside of our house, peering in our windows, or she hides in the bushes, taking notes as we walk the dogs. I don't know what her story is, but I don't think she is a stray. She's not thin and when I offer her treats, even the canned food that's like cat crack to our felines, she isn't interested. I am a little concerned that she might be in heat as she is extremely friendly and affectionate, but hopefully she is just a really nice cat. (If she is in heat, there is no shortage of tom cat company in the neighborhood, so I really hope that her owners are prepared to care for ensuing kittens. But hopefully, they are responsible people who have spayed her and she is just ridiculously friendly and enjoys rolling around and trilling.) Kevin calls her "Watcher Cat"--terribly creative, I know...that is the reason that he has never been allowed to name any of our pets. (That and the fact that he insists that "Satchel" is a fine name for man or beast!)
Anway, Watcher Cat is not the only creature to have taken an interest in our yard lately. Around 3 in the morning, Kermit and Honey went nuts, barking madly, standing on their hind legs at the open bedroom window. I shooed them out of the room and returned to the window to try to see what was upsetting them. It wasn't light enough for me to see anything (damn that approaching autumn and the retreat of the sun!) but I distinctly heard something large and lumbering tromping through the yard, sticks cracking under foot (or paw or hoof as the case may be). I'm guessing it was probably a moose, but Kevin said that it might have been a bear, as they are occasionally spotted close to our town. I must say, if given a choice of critter encounters, I would gladly opt for a purry, roly-poly, overly nosy little cat over a bear (or a moose) any day!

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 03, 08:29:00 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Oh, she's adorable! I hope she has a nice human waiting at home for her, and that she doesn't end up with kittens.

    Bears? I have read that brown bears do roam near the Swedish border but I thought they were super rare. You live in an exciting place, Emily!

    It IS getting noticeably darker every day, isn't it? It's a little sad, especially since the summer has been so crap. Oh well, it's natural. Like the bears! :-)

     
  • At Fri Aug 03, 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Michele, I also hope she has a nice family, probably she does. The last cat that I was worried about was a huge, long haired orange guy who was always hanging out on our porch. I drove Kevin crazy worrying about this cat, and one day as we were driving past a house down the road from ours, we noticed that there was a huge, long haired orange cat painted on their mailbox...I'm guessing he's probably a little spoiled, and not the poor, homeless urchin I thought he was!
    As for bears, we have heard the rumors but haven't seen any yet. So far, foxes (and wandering neighborhood cats) are the only carnivores I have seen in our yard. I kind of hope it stays that way! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home