On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Friday, October 26, 2007

Teenagers Make Me Laugh

I had an amusing conversation with a Norwegian 14 year old the other day:

14 year old: I love the show "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"--is that what America is really like?

Me: Um, no, I mean I guess there are a few people who really live in mansions with pools by the ocean, but most of us definitely do not.

14 year old: I also watch "The O.C."--is that how it is in America?

Me: Um, again, no, a tiny percentage of Americans live that way, but most of us do not. Even though lots of our T.V. shows are set in California, there are a bunch of states that don't border an ocean, that get snow in the winter, where average people live in modest houses and drive modest cars.

14 year old: I really like to watch "America's Funniest Home Videos"--is that what it is like in America?

Me: *blink, blink* Um, yeah, actually, that's pretty much how it is in America.

14 year old: Awesome!

6 Comments:

  • At Fri Oct 26, 05:08:00 PM, Blogger K said…

    That would be totally painful if it weren't completely true!

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 01:50:00 AM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Hahaha! Did you have this conversation in Norwegian? ;)

    Liz

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Nope, the conversation was in English--he wants to become more fluent so that he can have an easier time acquiring his mansion overlooking the ocean once he arrives in California! Seriously, he's a great kid, so sweet, but the unrealistic assumptions about the U.S. kind of bowl me over. Emily

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 06:38:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    I'm actually surprised you found a kid who hasn't been to the US already; back when *I* was growing up, it was unusual to have been there and lived there several times, like my family did *whine, whine*. :p Now it seems like everyone has been to at least NYC or Orlando!

    Liz

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, most of the kids I have met have been to Greece, Spain, Italy...all sorts of nice, warm places, but I haven't heard much about them visiting the U.S. yet. Honestly, given the choice of a vacation island hopping in Greece or going to Disneyworld, I'd pick Greece in a heartbeat--lucky Norwegian kids! Emily

     
  • At Wed Oct 31, 04:55:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's hilarious (and so true)!

    (Now I'm lurking around your blog finding all about you.)

    Geena

     

Post a Comment

<< Home