On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Three Things I Learned Today





One of Kevin's coworkers stopped by our house this afternoon. Everyone is always very interested in our house, and I have never quite understood the curiosity. I'm always happy to oblige, though, so we gave this guy the "grand tour" of our house. He told me that the house was designed by Arnstein Arneberg, a very famous Norwegian architect. Arneberg was one of two architects who designed Oslo's town hall (RĂ„dhuset) which you can see here: http://oslo-norway.ca/attractions/radhus.html Kevin and I were really surprised to hear this--why in the world would a house designed by such a revered architect be allowed to slowly fall apart, rented out to riff-raff like us for a pittance? It kind of makes me sad, and I really hope that whoever ends up here next takes good care of the old house.
I didn't just learn that our house has illustrious beginnings, I also found out that the strange, straw wallpaper in our study (which reminds me of the "Trading Spaces" episode where Hildi glued hay all over a living room wall) is very special and in high demand. I guess it's handmade in this area of Norway and decorated a couple of the walls in part of the World Trade Center. It also covers the walls of a famous jeweller on 5th Avenue in New York City...I guess it makes sense that an art-hater like me wouldn't see the value and beauty of the straw wallpaper!
The third thing I learned was that when faced nose to nose with a daschund puppy, my dogs will not mistake it for a tasty hot dog and will not chomp it down in one bite. Kevin's coworker brought his adorable 7 month old puppy to visit, and while I was concerned about Kermit and Honey turning cannibal on the tiny dog, they actually behaved themselves. It was so cute to see all three dogs racing around our yard (although there were a couple of times when I thought the puppy was going to be crushed beneath Kermit's thundering paws). Anyway, now I'm sitting here all puffed up and proud of our special house, our special wallpaper and our special dogs who don't tear little weiner dogs limb from limb!

5 Comments:

  • At Sun Oct 28, 06:35:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Hey, wow, that is pretty cool - but sounds like the people who own it should give it an overhaul then, seriously! Is it "just" cosmetic issues, or is it actually rotting and and having structural problems?

    Granted, City Hall in Oslo ain't too pretty, but it is fairly majestic. :)

    (And a big "awwwwww" to the puppy!)

    Liz

     
  • At Sun Oct 28, 08:09:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, it's mostly cosmetic--the house itself and the garage are in good shape, just in need of some paint and new kitchen cabinetry. There is another building on the property that was probably the servants' quarters at one time which is literally falling apart. It's obvious at one time there was a pond and formal gardens which are now completely overgrown... with some TLC it could be so beautiful, but since we're just renting, we weren't willing to put too much money or effort into any big home improvement projects.
    And I agree with you about City Hall--I know it's mentioned in all the tourism books, but of all the gorgeous buildings in Oslo, why does it get so much attention? Emily

     
  • At Mon Oct 29, 08:28:00 AM, Blogger Victoria said…

    So does this explain why people like to stop and stare into your house??
    I'm glad the dogs were so good with the little one. Those little dogs make me a bit nervous too. :-)

     
  • At Mon Oct 29, 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Vic, maybe it does explain some of the staring behavior...hmm, instead of lamenting the fact that I had no job here, I should have played tour guide at our house. I could have made tens and tens of kroner! Emily

     
  • At Wed Nov 07, 11:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aha!! So there really WAS something to the staring thing! How interesting!!

    See you soon!

    Robin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home