On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, October 30, 2006

Adopt a Shelter Dog Month


I know, October is just about over, but I wanted to remind everyone that October is National Adopt a Shelter Dog month in the U.S. (and Canada too, I think). Animal shelters across the country are promoting their wonderful dogs and a lot of them are offering reduced price adoptions, so if you have been considering adopting a dog, there's no time like the present! There's a link from my blog to www.petfinder.com which is such a great way to look for your next pet. You just click on the species you're searching for, and then the gender, breed and age of the animal you would like, type in your zip code, and Petfinder will give you a list of animals meeting your criteria in shelters and rescues near you.
The dogs in the photo above are mine--Kermit the Dog is the collie, and Honey is the golden retriever/collie/beagle mix. We adopted both of them from animal shelters and we adore them. We must adore them, we brought them all the way to Norway with us! That was beyond a fiasco...but I'll save that story for another post.
Here is the link for the Norwegian version of the humane society: www.dyrebeskyttelsen.no As my ability to read or comprehend Norwegian is still abysmal, I'm not sure what the most pressing animal welfare issues are in Norway, but it does seem like homeless cats and dogs are almost nonexistent here, compared to the U.S. I don't know why that is the case, but I would guess that perhaps Norwegians are more vigilant than Americans about having their pets spayed and neutered. If so, way to go Norway!

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Oct 22, 05:42:00 AM, Blogger kristinahojholt said…

    When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!
    demolition manchester

     

Post a Comment

<< Home