On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Vikingskipshuset

Wow, I realize I have been waxing poetic about the sky for far too many posts lately! The whole point of this blog is to entice people to come visit me in Norway, and I don't think sunrises are gonna do that! But maybe Vikings will! One of the most popular museums in Norway is the Vikingskiphuset, which houses 3 actual Viking ships from the 9th century. 2 of the ships are remarkably well preserved (the ship above is the Oseberg). The ships were dragged ashore to be used as tombs for nobility. The dead were entombed in wooden tents in the bottom of the ships, along with horses, dogs, food, furniture, sleds, clothes and jewels--you know, the basic provisions for an opulent afterlife. The whole ships were then buried in clay within valleys of the Oslofjord region. When they were discovered in the last century, the ships had already been looted and the jewels were long gone, but so many other treasures remained. Sculptures of dragons and serpents, intricately carved sleighs and furniture, tools, camping gear (8 foot long tent poles with carved dragon heads)...there is so much and it is absolutely amazing.
My favorite city in the U.S. is Boston. It's so beautiful, so old, so full of history--I always get chills and goosebumps when I stand on a cobblestone street and look around and think of all those people immortalized in my American History books who have lived there. Boston is a city full of ancient burying grounds, Federalist architecture, cobblestone streets, and every time I go there, I am awestruck...Boston was founded in 1630. Wow, 1630, that's so old! But now I'm in Norway, and I have found a new frame of reference for words like "old" and "ancient." Everything in the Vikingskiphuset is 800 years older than Boston...my mind is officially blown! (I guess I should never visit Rome or Athens--my head would probably explode!)

6 Comments:

  • At Thu Nov 09, 04:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Em,
    You should write a book called "An American goes to Norway", etc - really! You do a nice job of explaining and giving a summarized version of the Norweigan sights...but without being overly cerebral.

    As for Italy - it's a great place; I strongly recommend you go when/if you can! (Although don't try to go to 8 cities, driving in the smallest compact car possible, in the winter, in 5 days or less...) John and I survived our Italian Excursion, but it was certainly a test of both of our tolerance levels! (Imagine the CBS show The Amazing Race, but no $1 million prize at the end...)

    Also, we should start an online book club to discuss books we've read lately...do you have a library nearby that has books printed in English? If not, I should send you a bunch of books I've read lately...some good ones, but our bookshelves are getting very full. :)

     
  • At Thu Nov 09, 04:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm. I also see that this blog publishes in Norwegian time? It says I posed on Thurs. 11/9/06 at 4:23 am...here in CA it's only 7:20 pm on Wed. night!!

    The Democrats just took control of the Senate too....Democratic House & Senate - yippie!! :)

     
  • At Thu Nov 09, 08:45:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hmm, as for me writing a book, I think there are other expats in Norway doing a much better job at blogging than I am (and if I was technically saavy enough, I would post a link to their websites--luckily Kevin gets home in a week and he can do that for me). I think if any book publishers out there want Norwegian "fish out of water" stories, they will go to Karla at "Tales of a Texpatriate"--she's hilarious! And I really will link to her...as soon as I figure out how.
    And I would love to do an online book club. Our local Norli book store does have some English titles and I can probably special order more. Seriously, you don't want to send me something as heavy as a book. Poor Jen just spend about $40 to mail me coffee and candy, and books are a lot heavier than that! But tell me what you want me to read. I just finished "Saving Fish From Drowning" by Amy Tan, and now am in the middle of "Sleep Pale Sister" by Joanne Harris. (She wrote "Chocolat"--this book was actually her first and out of print, but with the popularity of "Chocolat" was reissued. It's dark and gothic and so far I really like it. So yes, book club please!!!! I'm starved for intelligent conversation in English, as my Norwegian conversational ability is at the level of a demented two year old! Emily

     
  • At Fri Nov 10, 03:04:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Okay, I'll post some photos of them--that was a very cool museum too! Emily

     
  • At Fri Nov 10, 06:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok - I will perhaps look into setting up a "Book Club" Blog...hmm...I'll email or post an update when I can get it up and running. I just read "Saving Fish From Drowning" by Amy Tan too...good one! Also, a long but good one is Dr. Strange and Mr. Norrell - magic, wizards, etc. I will look into sending some paperbacks and maybe some "veggie friendly" snacks for the Holidays...I can't imagine the books would cost that much. :)

     
  • At Fri Nov 10, 08:59:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    A book club blog would be great! And thanks for the Dr. Strange and Mr. Norrell suggestion, I'll be back in New York for the last 2 weeks of Nov. so I'll pick it up there. Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home