On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Friday, February 23, 2007

Moose!!!! (Or is it mooses? Or meese?)


















This morning, I was checking my email when suddenly I noticed something dark and lumbering out of the corner of my eye. There were three female moose munching on trees right outside my window! Luckily I had my camera at the desk and I started clicking away. Unlike most other wild animals, the moose weren't frightened by me or the camera at all, and posed very nicely for me! Soon, I realized that it was time to go to Norwegian class but there were still three huge animals of unknown temperament in my yard. Good thing I'm very clever--I know that moose like apples, so I grabbed several from the fridge and threw them towards the moose as I raced for the car. Sadly, I throw like a girl and the apples fell about 30 feet short of the moose, and the creatures just stared at me in befuddlement, chomping on their twigs. I'm pretty sure I heard one of them mutter, "Crazy American!" as I sped away. I was about 5 minutes late to class, so I explained to the teacher (in Norwegian) that I was late because there were three moose in my yard and I was scared to leave the house. Except that I didn't know what the word for moose was in Norwegian, so I just said "moose." The word "moose" sounds the same as "mus" which means "mouse" in Norwegian, so the teacher thought that I was late to class because I was scared of three mice in my yard. Thankfully, I now know that a moose is an "elg", so at least next time I'm held hostage in my house, no one will think it was due to rodents!



5 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 25, 08:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, we're told to be confident and not nervous about speaking Norwegian and making mistakes. So, we become a bit more confident and then make a mistake such as yours - I'd made plenty of similar ones in the beginning. Oh well, it makes for a nice joke for the kiddos some years down the road. ;)

    Nice to see nature so close and personal, isn't it?

     
  • At Thu Mar 01, 11:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Emily! It's Brendan H. aka Ishmael. I just stumbled upon your blog (hooray for Google!) and was fascinated to read about your adventures in Norway with Kevin. Great stories and fun pictures!

    Drop me a line at brenhow at mac dot com if you want to catch up one of these days. I'm also on AOL Instant Messenger with username brenhow.

    PS -- watch out for those moosey meeses ... especially if you see one in the proximity of a flying squirrel. Communist spies may be lurking nearby.

     
  • At Fri Mar 02, 11:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You guys alive over there?

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Astrid said…

    it must have been amazing to see those animals in your garden!!

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 04:58:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Tim, yes, I'm alive, just didn't have internet access at my mom's house for the past week--I can't believe I didn't go into withdrawal!
    Hi Brendan, long time no see! Hope all is well with you!
    Hi Astrid, it was amazing, but a little scary because they are really huge and apparently not big fans of the dogs! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home