On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, May 28, 2007

A Vivid Imagination

Last night was a very rainy, spooky night. While out with the dogs, my raincoat whipped around my legs and the tall trees lashed about madly in the wind. Inside, the wind and rain rattled through the fireplace chimneys, and even with all the windows shut, I could hear the howling gusts. Worst of all, the dogs kept racing to the windows and barking ferociously, though I could see nothing outside. I hate when Kevin is away on business trips--my imagination always seems to get the best of me. I ended up huddled under my quilt, unable to get to sleep for much of the night. Don't feel too sorry for me, though. The nights in Norway in May are really short, with true darkness between 12:30 and 3:00 AM. So, yes, I did mangage to scare myself, but thankfully not for too long. I really hope Kevin's trips will be much fewer and far shorter this winter--18 hours of darkness is a long time to be scared!

2 Comments:

  • At Tue May 29, 06:57:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Here's a Norwegian word for you: Husredd. It basically means that you are afraid in your own home because of the home. Typically, I have to close all curtains after dark because I spook myself if I see my own relfection. That's me being "husredd".

    Sounds in the building don't bother me, but that's thanks to being introduced to such things in my cousin's house. Nothing like having an older kid scoffingly tell you it's just the house to cure you of worrying about creeks, squeaks and moans. :-)

    I'm sure that by the time winter comes around, you'll be more familiar with the sounds of your house.

     
  • At Tue May 29, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Keera, thanks for the new word--my Norwegian vocabulary is growing in strange new directions every day! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home