On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Day in the Numedal Valley

















Yesterday, we had a fantastic time in the Numedal Valley. We drove down from Gjovik through the mountains on some very scenic, very twisty roads. (Thank goodness for Dramamine, I wouldn't be able to survive Norway without it!) First, we visited my friend Heather and her husband Ove. They have a gorgeous farm outside of Nore (top photo) and it kind of made me want to twirl around and burst into "The Hills Are Alive"--but I managed to restrain myself. We then drove to a stave church in Nore, and luckily for us it was open for tours. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, which is too bad because the interior was incredible. All the walls and ceiling had intricate paintings, and even the pews were carved. Back in the day, people had to bring their own pews, so the richest people were able to afford very detailed carvings on their pews (not to mention a prime location close to the pulpit) while the poorer families had to sit in the rafters with plain pews.
The highlight of the day for me was our dresine ride. Dresines are tricycles that roll along railroad tracks. We rented one at Veggli Vertshus: http://www.veggli-vertshus.no/default.aspx?MenuID=9313
The views were amazing, and it was really neat (and incredibly cold) to go through the old railroad tunnels. Who knew exercising could be so much fun!




2 Comments:

  • At Tue Jun 12, 03:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did Kevin enjoy the trikes? It doesn't seem like he's selling it for me. Regardless, I loved my trike when I was a kid - who'd of thought there's trikes out there for adults. How fun!

     
  • At Tue Jun 12, 07:47:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Jen, Kevin did really enjoy the dresine, I think it might be my incessant photo taking that put that less than thrilled look on his face! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home