On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, June 18, 2007

A Quick Fix

Last week I wrote about how homesick I was...I feel better now. Shallow as I am, the Dunkin Donuts coffee and stack of People magazines that Kevin brought back with him from New York really helped! (I suppose the fact that he himself is also back from New York didn't hurt, either!) Plus, we have lots of fun plans for summer to anticipate. Kevin's company owns a hytte up in Beitostolen, and every weekend they have a company-wide lottery for its use. We won, so on Friday we will pack up the dogs for a weekend in the mountains. I'm not sure how rustic the hytte is, so everybody pray for indoor plumbing with me, okay? Friends from the U.S. are visiting us during the first week of July and I think we'll try to see the Geiranger fjord and the art nouveau architecture of Ålesund (and hopefully a puffin or two on the surrounding islands). We are going to the U.S. for the second week of July (Kevin has a trade show in Las Vegas and I'm going to New York to see my mom and friends). The last two weeks of July, Kevin's dad and stepmom will come to see us. We're planning to drive all the way up to the north of Norway, past Dovrefjell and the muskoxen, through Trondheim, up to Tromsø and then over to Svalbard to see the polar bears. Who has time for homesickness? Not me!

5 Comments:

  • At Mon Jun 18, 10:14:00 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Hi Emily! I'm so glad you're feeling better! Donuts? You have donuts? That would make me feel better, too... :-) Wow, your plans for the summer sound fantastic! May I admit that I'm more than a wee bit jealous that you're going to be doing so much traveling and seeing so much of Norway? I've been here for a year and haven't seen anything. I've been to Oslo twice to visit a friend, and twice to Hamar (near you!), and once to Os and that's it. I'm so lame. :-( So I will be counting on you to take tons and tons of fantastic photos and I will see Norway through your eyes. And I'll look forward to meeting you sometime in August? ;-)

    I'm really happy you're better. And that your husband is back home! You're a total sport to spend so much time alone here...

     
  • At Tue Jun 19, 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Michele! Nope, no donuts, only Dunkin Donuts coffee. (It is fantastic, but it's no warm, gooey glazed donut!)
    We are trying to see everything in Norway that we possibly can. After moving from Chicago, we realized that we didn't take advantage of living there as much as we should have--we lived right across from Oprah's studio and I never even went to her show! We're still a little fuzzy about how long we're going to live in Norway, so we're trying to fit all the sight seeing we can in, as once we're back in the U.S., it will be pretty pricey to fly back to see the fjords! Of course, we didn't just build a house from scratch like you did, so we do have a bit more free time than you have right now! :)
    August sounds great! Emily

     
  • At Wed Jun 20, 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Kehla said…

    I feel very, very sheepish admitting this, but I didn't realize Svalbard was a real place. I just read about it in "The Golden Compass" and assumed it was fictional - That's so cool that you get to visit it! Can we expect pictures of polar bears? :)

     
  • At Thu Jun 21, 01:22:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    K, yep, Svalbard's a real island with 2 small towns, 2000 residents and 5000 polar bears. I will definitely bring my camera and hope that the bears feel more like posing than snacking on me! Emily

     
  • At Thu Jun 21, 08:48:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Kari, wow, it has been almost a year, hasn't it! Time flies! Congratulations to both of you! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home