On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Homesick








The sun is shining, there's a gentle breeze, and our yard is full of gorgeous and fragrant flowers (pictured are lupines, ball-blomst, not sure what the magenta ones are called, and lilacs.) Everyone told me that I would love Norway in the summer, and I can't argue, it is really beautiful. Except that I am ridiculously homesick. I sat down to lunch in the school cantina today, and got a little depressed as I looked at my umpteenth thousandth slice of bread and cheese. I desperately wanted a honey grain bagel with honey walnut cream cheese from Bruegger's, with a tall iced latte on the side. It's not just my favorite foods that I miss, I miss my friends, I miss being able to speak easily with everyone I meet instead of racking my brain for the correct words and still making stupid grammatical mistakes, I miss helping out at the animal shelter...I guess I miss some big things and so many little things, and today it just feels overwhelming. I know this feeling wasn't actually brought on by a bagel. It was my American friend Heather's last day in Gjøvik...her husband is done with school here and they will now live on their farm 3 hours away full time. She was a connection to home, she understood all of my American pop-culture references, plus she kept me supplied with Life Savers--cherry, mint and wildberry flavors! I know the sadness will pass and I'll soon be excited and fawning over a cute pony or puppy again, but right now I'm wallowing in all the good-byes I have had to say over this past year. This sadness isn't about which country is better, the U.S. or Norway. They are both wonderful and amazing, and they are both maddening and frustrating. It's just that right now, only one of them feels like home to me, and it's not Norway.


6 Comments:

  • At Wed Jun 13, 04:16:00 PM, Blogger Kehla said…

    Emily,
    I don't have any advice for you - homesickness sucks! But keep you chin up, and know that your blog makes me smile.
    Cheers,
    K

     
  • At Wed Jun 13, 05:54:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    BTDT re homesickness. I think you have the right attitude about it.

    BTW, the pink flower is rød praktstjerne/rød jonsokblom" (silene dioica). Jonsok is another name for Midsummer's Eve/St. Hansaften.

     
  • At Wed Jun 13, 10:26:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    I know how you feel...and I'm not even American. :/ I just feel like I am, and I miss all the things you can get there, including Bruegger's bagels and things with fun flavors, yep...!

     
  • At Wed Jun 13, 10:49:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    PS: You might already know this, but the omnipresent Deli DeLuca chain in Oslo has a wide assortment of American chocolate, candy and gum. The price is like 3 times what it costs in the US, but still... They also have a few other US items, like Pepperridge Farm cookies, Oreos and Kraft Mac & Cheese.

     
  • At Thu Jun 14, 05:06:00 AM, Blogger My Ming Mei said…

    You are missed too! Thank goodness for your blog because it does connect us. Ok so I totally missed you the other day. I was at the park and there was this two year old who was running and her arms were swinging about. Her name was Phoebe. Totally reminded me of another Phoebe who ran all crazy like. Anyway, I thought of you because I know you would totally get the tv reference.

     
  • At Thu Jun 14, 07:31:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm fine, more or less out of my little funk now. And Carrie, of course I know the TV reference--you were the person I watched that pilot episode of "Friends" with (oh so many years of viewing pleasure!) Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home