On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Foliage, Fall, Furnaces and Facial Hair












It was a gorgeous, crisp day today. The sun was shining and Lake Mjøsa was a brilliant blue, but wow, was it ever cold! The thermometer didn't reach 55 and the wind was whipping up on top of the hill at Eiktunet where I stopped to take some pictures. I have been in denial all summer long, believing that the weather would eventually warm up, but I think it's time to admit defeat and pack the short sleeves and sandals away. The newspapers have announced that fall is officially here in eastern Norway, and this blustery day, in addition to the already harvested fields and the red and yellow foliage forced me to face the truth...sigh. I do love autumn, I just wasn't quite ready for it yet.
It's definitely time to crank up the furnace, but unfortunately nothing happened when we turned it on tonight. It gave a couple of encouraging sputters, and then silence. Kevin sent an email to the landlord, so perhaps he will quickly contact the furnace repairman, and by tomorrow evening I will be able to feel my fingers and toes again. I'm not looking forward to the furnace guy's visit...he has a crazy, twirly mustache reminiscent of a 1920's movie villain, and while I know that the polite thing to do is look him in the eye when he talks to me, I can't help but stare at that odd, waxed and curled mustache, bobbing and weaving as his mouth moves. Hmm, maybe I should wear sunglasses tomorrow, so he can't see my eyes fixated on his facial hair. I'll be wearing several layers of clothes, plus big fuzzy slippers, a hat and mittens, so amongst all that wardrobe insanity, maybe he won't even notice the shades? Or maybe he'll just chalk it up to hypothermia!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home