On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Picture Below is Not a Bear!

It really is such a small world--one of Kevin's childhood friends now lives in Oslo. The last time they saw each other was about 19 years ago, and here they both are, living in Norway. We had plans to get together for dinner last night in Oslo, and decided to meet by the tiger statue outside of the central train station. (Kevin insisted it was a bear statue, until I asked him what kind of freaky bear has stripes and a long tail! I think he has bears on the brain after all the recent bear attacks along the Swedish border! http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article2048344.ece ) Anyway, because almost 20 years have passed since Kevin last saw his friend, he wasn't really sure if they would recognize each other. When I asked what his friend looked like, Kevin said, "He has light brown hair, he's about my age..." That didn't narrow it down too much, so when an incredibly inebriated man (who was in his 30's with light brown hair) pulled up to the tiger statue on his bicycle and started screaming, I nervously asked, "Is that him?" Kevin said he didn't think so, but he wasn't completely sure--at that point I was hoping we could just sneak back inside the train station and get away! Luckily, Kevin's friend walked up to us a couple of minutes later (and he was completely sober and not ranting at all!) so we headed up Karl Johansgate to the restaurant. We had a great time at dinner and then went to a fantastic Irish pub for a drink.
Oslo is such a fun city--Kevin's friend told us about one of his favorite bars which has an ocean theme--huge fish tanks everywhere, walls and ceiling painted as if they were underwater. Not only is the decor unique, opera singers perform there nightly--can you imagine drinking a cocktail and listening to opera all while enjoying a submarine view? I know I only have 13 days left in Norway, but I really want to go there! Oh well, I just need to keep reminding myself that I will be back a lot for visits when Kevin travels here for work...there will still be time to make it to Svalbard and Lofoten and even the underwater opera bar!

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Oct 30, 02:22:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Oh, that pub is right by where I live! It's called Underwater Pub. I haven't been there myself actually, but don't know if it is open early enough on Friday, but if it is, then I'll take you and Michele there. :)

    Liz

     
  • At Tue Oct 30, 03:29:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, seriously, you live by that bar?!? I am even more excited about getting together with you two now, if that is possible! Emily

     
  • At Tue Oct 30, 05:24:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    I'm jealous.

     
  • At Tue Oct 30, 05:59:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Victoria, I wish you could join us! I do plan to come back to Norway quite a bit, though, so I really hope that all 4 of us can get together sometime in the future! Emily

     
  • At Tue Oct 30, 06:01:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Absolutely!

    Yep, it is down the street from my building, less than a 10 minute walk. It opens at 4 PM, their website is at http://www.underwater.no.

    Liz

     
  • At Wed Oct 31, 01:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think I could handle an underwater/fish tank opera bar while sober.

    But, I guess that's why they built it that way?

    Love,
    Other Dad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home