On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Friday, January 05, 2007

Hei, jeg heter Emily!

"Hei, jeg heter Emily" means "Hi, my name is Emily." I repeated this phrase about 30 times this morning in my first Norwegian class! There were 10 students today, and we all introduced ourselves and told everyone where we come from. I'm the only person from the U.S. There is a lady from Mexico, a lady from Burma, a lady from Romania, a lady from the Ukraine, a lady from Azerbaijhan, and 3 men and a woman from Iraq. I talked to one of the men from Iraq for awhile--he has 2 children who want to go to the university in Oslo and need to take the TOEFL exam. He asked if I could help them with their English. I'm so excited--for the first time since we have moved here, I feel useful! So far, I have had to ask so many people for help...basically, I've been a bottomless pit of need! It is wonderful to feel like I am going to contribute in some small way to society again. This afternoon I'm going to look through all the books we have to try and find some that may be helpful--at first I wondered why in the world we hauled hundreds of books across the ocean with us, but now I'm so glad we did! If anyone has any experience with the TOEFL and has any advice, please let me know--I really want to help these people succeed! (Hmm, I wonder if my new found goodwill has more to do with procrastinating studying Norwegian and less to do with my altruistic nature...oh well, no time to dwell on that nasty little thought, I have books to find!)

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Jan 08, 06:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi:) Very nice blog, I've found it as I might move to Norway so..I was looking for any advice from anyone who already moved:)

    I took my TOEFL in July 2006, if you are helping the person for the iBT test (the TOEFL newest version) pay a lor of attention on listening capacities and on writing.
    Most of the TOEFL is based on listening exercises: students listen to university lessons snad then have to answer written question or tell their oopinion. So it's very important that the student understands well american English otherwise there's no chance t go and take the exam at all as 65% is on listening and comprehension, 35% indeed is about reading and comprension:)

    Pat

     
  • At Tue Jan 09, 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Pat, thanks for the TOEFL advice! And let me know if there is anything you want to know about moving to Norway! Emily

     
  • At Tue Jan 09, 01:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Emily, Thanks for your kindness:) I am still waiting for the final answer from the university, so I simply keep my fingers crossed:) But I really wanted to give you useful advices for the tOEFL as most of the material you can find online refers to the old toefl - I did each one and only when I was taking the exam I discovered that everything was based on English Usage and comprehension, without all those boring and tricky grammatical exercises. It was even easier to me to have just to listen and understand but maybe for beginners this can be harder.

    BTW, I find your blog really nice and I guess most of your adventures with norway, norvegian people and language could be something I hope to experience soon:)

    Pat

     

Post a Comment

<< Home