On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Mind Like Teflon

I have been going to my Norwegian classes every day, but nothing is sticking in my head. It's like my brain is made of Teflon and every new word slides off. I learned French in high school and it was so easy for me--have I just gotten too old to learn a new language efficiently? Or is it because Norwegian is ridiculously hard? Our teacher was trying to explain the difference in pronounciation of the words "kjott" (meat) and "skjort" (skirt). She earnestly repeated the 2 words over and over, but they both sound just like "shirt" to me. How can a word which starts with a "k" sound at all like a word that starts with an "s"? But they sound exactly alike--I'm sure you can imagine the abysmal score I received on my first spelling test yesterday! And really, I was good at spelling in both French and English...what has happened to my brain?
Actually, I think I know what has happened to my brain--massive head injuries incurred daily due to falling on the ice. Seriously, everything is coated in sheer ice and no one does anything about it. I do think that Americans are a little too frivolous with law suits, but fear of being sued does encourage the average American business owner to keep their sidewalks clear of ice and snow. Occasionally, a kind person will toss a little gravel on top of the ice, but that does very little to make the ice less slippery, and it stings like crazy when you fall over and the gravel gets ground into the palms of your hands! I do remember one important phrase from Norwegian class: "Det er veldig glatt. Var forsiktig!" (It is very slippery. Be careful!)
I talked to Kevin earlier today, and he was so proud to announce that he didn't fall once on his walk to work today. Yesterday he fell once, and the day before he fell twice, so maybe he is getting the hang of skidding around on icy, rocky trails with a heavy backpack over his shoulders. So far, so good for me today too, but yesterday--oof! I was walking the beasts up an icy hill when I lost my footing. I shared some choice English curse words with everyone in the neighborhood as I slid on my stomach and chin all the way down the hill, dragging the poor dogs with me. Good thing I don't know much Norwegian, as I'm sure I'm known as the "crazy American" around town. Oh well, I guess every village needs an idiot, right?

6 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 10, 04:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sure you're not the village idiot.

    Your stories of falling on the ice reminde me about that trip we took up to Cascade Mtn. in WI with a bunch of my Andersen co-workers - the one where I think I left half of my face on the mountain. You and Jen Plen were saying what a great job I was doing on the bunny hills and "encouraged" me to try a blue or green - so I did and by that time of the day - it was sheer ice. Ah, the perils of sheer ice.....I do sense a fractured hip or pelvis for the both of us in our future when we get to be in our 60s. Can't wait!!!

     
  • At Wed Jan 10, 04:30:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Wow, I almost forgot about that trip! You were such a trooper! Why is it that people who already know how to ski have absolutely no recollection of how hard it is to learn to ski? And why would we have encouraged you to do a blue run in icy conditions? You're right about the age thing--Kevin and I were marvelling today at how many old people live in Norway--how do they survive the winters without breaking bones? I see retiring to a warm, beachside cottage in my future! Emily

     
  • At Wed Jan 10, 11:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh - too funny. I think I remember that ski trip - or perhaps another one - where we pushed poor Jen Strnad to her limit as a new skier. I also seem to remember hitting a lot of black diamonds with Marsha as my ski partner - I don't know how I can manage to ski, I am so clumsy otherwise in life! Well, I will have to keep all of these things in mind; we are going skiing to Denver at the end of March (John has a work conference, and then I'm coming for the wknd ski part). We're signed up for the beginner's lessons, I figure a refresher is always good for me too. I also hope that John walks away in one piece... Anyway - hope is well with the both of you!

     
  • At Thu Jan 11, 07:41:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Ooh, so envious--Colorado has the best skiing! Here we are, in Olympics-land, and the snow is non-existent (though the ice seems to be a permanent fixture). We were going to go skiing last weekend, but the weather wasn't right, and this weekend doesn't look very promising either. I'll be with you in spirit..."Ski, ski, oh no, a tree!" Emily

     
  • At Tue Jan 16, 01:15:00 AM, Blogger JDC said…

    Ouch! Get some Yaxtrax for your Norwegian adventures. Mine make me look less clumsy!

     
  • At Tue Jan 16, 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Janet, thanks for the suggestion! It would be nice to make it down the driveway without skinning my knees! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home