On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunny Days Ahead



I took these photos of the sunrise this morning at about 6:30--we have about 6 hours more daylight now than we had in December. I can't wait for my first Norwegian summer and all those long, sunny days!
Last night I went out with my friend from Norskkurs, Mariana, to a movie. ("Music and Lyrics", which was kind of cute, especially if you love '80's music!) Afterwards, we wanted to have some coffee, so we went to a local coffeehouse/bar called Chaplin's. We were shocked that a 100 NOK (almost $20) cover was being charged just to go in. I don't mind paying cover if a good band is playing, but there is no way I will pay $20 to drink a $2 cup of coffee! Surprisingly, there were several customers there, so I guess some people are not as cheap as I am!
We ended up at Rapido, a little convenience store with a small cafe. I got a cappuccino and a piece of delicious chocolate torte for 60 NOK (about $10), so a much better deal. The owner of the store is an Iranian immigrant and he was so encouraging to both of us about our Norwegian speaking skills. He speaks Norwegian beautifully, with almost no accent--I find it so hopeful to meet other immigrants who are fluent! Maybe some day I will also sound intelligent in Norwegian, or at least not like a babbling idiot with a terrible American accent!
We had our first test in Norskkurs on Friday, and I thought it was pretty easy. I think I did well, so I know that language-wise, I'm where I'm supposed to be, but I still get so frustrated with myself. There is so much I still need to learn before I'll be interesting or funny or smart in Norwegian, and I know that I have still have many months of sounding like a moron ahead of me!

8 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 11, 08:33:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    The lengthening of the days is what most Norwegians live and breathe for. I'm looking forward to your experience of the white nights. You take good photographs!

     
  • At Sun Mar 11, 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Keera, thanks, but they never seem to turn out quite as beautiful and vivid as the actual sky. I would love to eventually get a camera that takes great night photos, because the starry skies here are absolutely incredible! Emily

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 05:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are the white nights? Will you have near 24-hour sunlight this summer??

    I think your photos are pretty good -- the doggie eyes look devilish!

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 06:21:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Kari, we aren't quite as far north as the Arctic circle, so I don't think it will be 24 hours of daylight, but it should be pretty close. I know Kevin said that at 11:30 or midnight, there was still enough daylight for him to easily read a book last June. I have heard it never really gets completely dark either, just kind of dusky. I can't wait! (Though I should probably buy some curtains or something or I might not sleep for the whole summer! Emily

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 07:45:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Kari, there was a movie by that name, "White Nights", referring to the fact that this far north, the nights never get completely dark in the summer. (In Norwegian, we sometimes say "blonde netter" (blond nights).) Above the Arctic circle (at 66N), you get the midnight sun. South of it, you get midnight sunsets/sunrises. I have watched the peachy red of a sun below the horizon move from northwest to north to northeast over the course of about 3 hours and then rise again. It is a soft light that colors the world pastel, and it is gorgeous.

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 07:47:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    PS: In the summer, we don't see stars in the sky at night. The sky simply isn't dark enough.

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 01:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooh, exciting! I hope John and I can visit you and Kevin in the summer...what incredible weather!

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 08:41:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Keera, wow, what a gorgeous description of the summer skies! Thanks!
    Kari, I hope you and John can visit too--Kevin will have lots of vacation time this summer, so we'll have lots of time to play tour guide! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home