On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Smarter Than Your Average Box of Rocks

Ever since we moved to Norway, I have generally felt "dumber than a box of rocks." I can't express myself eloquently in Norwegian, I mangle the pronounciation of just about every word I do manage to utter (the tj/ki sound is completely impossible for me to make), and when spoken to, I usually do a great impression of a deer caught in the headlights. I feel like I should be more fluent by now, and I wonder if all of Kevin's coworkers quietly question if he is part of some sort of "Marry-a-Moron" social experiment. But today in Norskkurs, we got the results of our tests back--I scored 137 out of a possible 139!!! I'm not a moron!!! I can spell and conjugate and string simple sentences together!!! (Sorry about all the superfluous exclamation points, but seriously, this is the first time I have felt smart since, um, August, so I will exclaim away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

7 Comments:

  • At Wed Mar 14, 09:31:00 PM, Blogger Astrid said…

    Congratulations!!! Good for the moral, isn't it? Well done.

    astrid

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Thanks Astrid! It really is added incentive to keep studying! Emily

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 06:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!

    Isn't the tj/ki sound the same as ch in English? That's what I thought at at least

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    The tj/ki sound isn't quite as hard as the "ch" shound, but a little more forceful than "sh"-kind of like forcing air through your teeth while smiling. I am not doing a great job trying to describe it--as I said, I really can't make the sound! Emily

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    There is a ch-sound but that depends on your regional accent.

    Anyway, now that I know you'll understand this: Gratulerer så mye, Emily!

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 10:22:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Tusen takk, Keera!

     
  • At Fri Mar 16, 07:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Impressive! I have never had an ear for languages, so stand in awe of people who are able to pick up a new vocabulary. And alphabet! And dialect! The mind boggles.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home