On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Gjøvik Pictures








I'm not a huge fan of modern Norwegian architecture, but I think some of the older buildings are really beautiful. Above are a few of my favorites in Gjøvik: the first is a very old restaurant, Spiseri. We always take visitors who wish to sample moose or whale or reindeer, as traditional Norwegian cuisine is on the menu. I guess the union used to meet on the top floor and at one time people who worked at Kevin's company weren't welcome to eat in the restaurant, but luckily for us, the old tensions have settled and we have never been driven out halfway through our meal! The second building is one of the many bakeries in our town. Seriously, for a town this small, Gjøvik is very rich in pastries. I think Norway in general is not for the glucose-intolerant or Atkins Diet devotees! The third photo is of a church in the center of town, built in 1882. I don't know much else about it (but I have a hunch the denomination is Lutheran!) The last photo is of our train station. Norway is full of lovely old train stations, but I think this is one of the prettiest that I have seen. Anyway, that's our town (at least for another 2 months!)...I realized that the majority of my photos are from other bigger, more well known cities, but since most of my time in Norway has been spent in Gjøvik, I figured I should devote at least one blog entry to the little town best known for all its white houses along the lake.

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Sep 12, 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Very pretty pictures! It is a pretty town. I know what you mean about the bakeries, they are everywhere and so yummy!!!

     
  • At Thu Sep 13, 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Victoria, they are yummy, but is it just me, or is there way too much cardamom in all the baked goods here? I guess I'll always be a cinnamon girl...Emily

     
  • At Tue Nov 13, 06:53:00 AM, Anonymous Luis said…

    Great pictures !

    I suppose it is a nice city to live in. I know the quality of life in Norway is one of the best in the world and that the people are really nice.

    Luis E. Perez
    Peace River, Alberta, Canada

     

Post a Comment

<< Home