On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Stress

Wow, things have been moving fast around here, my head is kind of spinning! We have already had movers to the house to look at all of our furniture and estimate how big our container will need to be. (Answer: very big. We need to get rid of a lot more than a box of rocks to be able to squash our stuff into a smaller container!) All the people from this particular moving company have been really nice and accomodating--I don't foresee any unsanctioned bonfires in our yard this time around! But really, I don't care that much about our belongings getting back safely--they're just things which can be replaced if necessary. I am freaking out about the animals, though! It's ridiculous, I know, they all made it to Norway safely, and they'll make it back to the U.S. safely. No one seemed to suffer any long term psychological issues from the first voyage--the cats haven't developed catnip dependency problems, their catnaps seem undisturbed by airplane nightmares, the dogs continue to chase sticks and woodland creatures, their appetites are insatiable as always. We are using Continental Airlines--their cargo area is kept at the same temperature and pressure as the passenger cabin, and they have a direct flight from Oslo to Newark. We are using a pet moving company to arrange all the details for us, and they will pick the animals up and get them through customs in Newark, and then drive them up to Syracuse. (The dogs' carriers are too big to fit onto the small jets which fly up to Syracuse, and also, I just feel better knowing that there will be no issues with them trying to make a connecting flight.) It was insanely hard to get the animals into Norway (a non-rabies country), but it should be much easier to get them back to the U.S. All they need is proof of a current rabies vaccine, a letter from our Norwegian vet stating that they have resided in Norway for at least 6 months, and a health certificate issued by our Norwegian vet within 10 days of their flight. Importing animals into the U.S. is only slightly overwhelming, versus the mind-melting difficulty of getting them to Norway. I can handle this, right? I keep reminding myself that at least for the animals, there is only one terrifying day of travel that they must get through. They don't have to go through all the anxiety and worry in the weeks leading up to the move--that mental distress is all mine!

3 Comments:

  • At Thu Sep 13, 03:42:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Don't worry - it's going to be ok. I totally understand your feelings. That is how I feel about Sable being flown over. I was so bad that if I saw a dog in a kennel at a airport I started crying! But really, they will all be just fine. I tried to reassure myself by thinking there are thousands of pets that are flown around all the time. It is good its a direct flight too. What company are you using? We are using Animal Land - they have been good so far, but it's pricey. They all are I guess.

     
  • At Fri Sep 14, 01:52:00 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Hi Emily. I'm sorry you're feeling so stressed. I'd be freaking out if I were you...I don't think I can face another move for a long while. :-) Hang in there---you seem like a very capable person and I'm sure all will be fine.

    I remember being completely fraught with anxiety about moving my cats here with us. To be honest, I'm convinced it was a bad thing for Sofie, but I think she was super attached to her garden in San Francisco and leaving it was the bad thing, more so than the travel. If your animals made it here okay, they should make it back okay too. It's wonderful you found a direct flight for them to New York.

     
  • At Mon Sep 17, 08:21:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Victoria, we are using Pacific Pet Transporters this time...they seem to be doing a good job so far, but I guess the proof of a job well done is happy, healthy animals in New York on the 12th of November. And you're right, thousands of animals fly every year, and the vast majority of them are just fine. Sable will get through this, my little guys will get through this...
    Michele, again, I'm so sorry about Sofie...my beloved childhood dog, Poppy, died of kidney failure too. It comes on so fast and there is so little that can be done for them once they get sick. Don't blame yourself for bringing Sofie to Norway, it's just a terrible disease which would have struck no matter where she lived. (And your garden in Norway was a beautiful place for her to spend her last weeks!) Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home