On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bon Voyage, Little Kitties!

The cats are en route to Newark airport right now, and in just a couple of hours will be on the plane to Oslo. I am so stressed out, hoping they will make it over safely and comfortably. I spent the day buying them toys and catnip (bribes, so that one day, they will forgive me for putting them through this awful trip!) and buying myself some lovely things too. I have no idea how I'm going to close my suitcases!
My flight leaves tomorrow afternoon and gets into Oslo on Friday morning, so poor Kevin will be the one who will have to get the cats settled into their new home tomorrow. (And he will be the one who has to deal with their carriers--our 20 pound monster, Toonces, gets car sick, I wonder what vile substances he will spew on the plane!) Oh well, after the hell that the dogs have put Kevin through the past couple of weeks, I don't think a little cat puke will even register! Their latest dastardly deed happened yesterday...over the past several days, the dogs have learned to open the freezer and help themselves to hundreds of dollars worth of groceries. Kevin thought he had outsmarted them by buying suction cups and bungee cords to secure the freezer door. Yesterday, the dogs pulled all the insulation stripping from the freezer door in their crazed attempt to find more ice cream. While their attempts to open the freezer and eat another $20 worth of ice cream were thwarted, we now have to buy another $1000 refrigerator!
Poor Kevin! I, on the other hand, have had a wonderful 2 weeks back home. I got the chance to see so many friends, eat all my favorite foods (mmm, Mexican food!), do lots of shopping, and best of all, spend some time volunteering at the animal shelter. It's always hard to see so many animals in cages, but it seems even worse this time of year. I wish that all of them could have the chance to curl up by the fireplace, or play with the packages under the tree!
As nice as it was to be home again, I am looking forward to returning to Norway. We have a traditional Julebord (Christmas party) to attend on December 2nd, and I'm looking forward to doing some cross country skiing, as well as some trips up to Lillehammer for a little alpine skiing. I think now that all of our pets are finally going to be with us, Gjovik will feel more like home. Nothing like sitting on the couch with a kitty or two curled up on your lap, as your dogs gnaw on refrigerator insulation!

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Dec 02, 04:13:00 AM, Blogger My Ming Mei said…

    They sound far worse than Alex ever was. I think the worst Alex ever did was the vaccumm cleaner cord and the ahem medication.

     
  • At Sun Dec 03, 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    I remember Alex also ripped a broom to shreds--little pieces of straw everywhere. Hmm, I guess a $5 broom still doesn't compare to an appliance, does it? Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home