On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, January 22, 2007

6 Weird Things About Me

I have been tagged by Astrid at "Life With A Seaview" http://life-with-a-seaview.blogspot.com/ (I know, I'm so ridiculously computer un-savvy, I really need to learn how to link web sites! I swear, it's one of my New Years resolutions!) Anyway, the Meme is 6 weird things about me, so here they are:

1. I have "Bionic eyes"--I used to have -12 vision which I corrected with contacts. My eyes became too dry and irritated to wear contacts but I wasn't a candidate for laser surgery due to too thin corneas. In December 2005, a new surgery was approved in the U.S. where they implant permanent lenses over your own lens. Since it was brand new technology, my doctor offered the first 5 patients to have it $2000 off the surgery, so I leapt at the opportunity. The crazy thing is, I have a phobia of anything touching my eyes so I'm still kind of shocked that I did it. Now I have 20/15 vision (better than 20/20!) so I can say the surgery was totally worth it, even though I did come out of the anesthesia once to find a needle in my eye--that was very upsetting, to say the least!
2. I was so poor in college that I signed up to be a medical guinea pig--I did some pretty easy little psychological experiments, but I also did a couple of bronchoscopies. They paid $120, but imagine laying on a table for an hour with a tube going up your nose into your lungs--sure, it bought some beer and pizza, but what a painful way to pay a bar tab!
3. During the bronchoscopy mentioned above, the doctor told me I have a porpoise lung. I guess it's just an extra lobe on my lung, but at the time, I kind of felt like a "missing link"!
4. I'm not a "girly girl" at all--I think mice and bats are cute, and I really don't mind snakes or slugs or lizards. But bugs are my weakness, they turn me into a shrieking, hysterical, leaping on top of chairs mess. I'm fine with "cute" bugs like ladybugs and butterflies, but there is a certain bug out there with so many undulating legs that I am so terrified of that I can't even type its name. Seriously, there are tropical places in the world where I won't go for fear of seeing one of these monsters! (The first thought in my head when I learned that we were moving to Norway was, "Oh good, it's too cold and too far north for my nemesis to live!" I was wrong, but they are mercifully much smaller here!)
5. I'm really bad at telling time on non-digital clocks. It's not that I can't, it's just that it takes me a lot longer than the average person. I mean, I know immediately if it's 6:00 or 6:30, but a time like 6:45 is tough, when the hour hand is between two numbers and I have to figure out if it's 6:45 or 7:45...sigh, no matter how I try to rationalize it, it does make me sound a little dense, and my husband and friends love to ask me what time it is and then laugh and laugh.
6. I'm kind of nervous about flying and heights, but I did go skydiving once. (I was only 19, so I think I might have still been in that "I'm invincible" stage of life.) Unfortunately for both me and the jump master I was strapped to, I suffered severe motion sickness as we careened toward the earth. I can still hear him moaning, "Man, why do I always get stuck strapped to the pukers?!?"

Okay, so there are 6 weird, random things about me. I don't really know too many people in the blogging world who read my blog, but if you do read it and you want to share weird things about yourself with all of cyberspace, please consider yourself tagged!

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 24, 08:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my gosh - I was one of the "recruiters" who helped encourage you do the medical research experiments! I did the bronchscopies far too often; perhaps that's why I now have a lifetime minor chronic cough. I also did one of the PET scans studies; required an overnight stay, but the compensation was very high.

    Ok, I will post my 6 weird things...

    1. I am a total carbohydrate addict. I am trying to do low-carb eating, but I feel like a drug addict going through detox. I almost stole someone's dessert the other night at dinner; I wanted to reach over and grab their hot fudge brownie sundae!

    2. I was born in Seoul, Korea, but have never been to Asia or Korea. Both are on our to do list, though. I have, however, been to Australia twice (with one more trip planned for Aug. 07). I promise, after that, we are going to try to expand our horizons and head to Norway!

    3. I did not know how to use Internet email (hotmail, yahoo) until 1998 - when I met my (now) husband, John. I am now addicted to yahoo email, too. I am starting to enjoy Emily's blog, as well.

    4. I have known a pathological liar up close and personal. Enough said.

    5. I sat next to a contagious coughing person on a bus (my first few weeks living in Chicago) and then developed pneumonia for the first (and hopefully only) time in my life.

    6. On my 21st birthday (July 19, 1997), I was at the bars, nor drinking or hung over. I was driving home to my parents house, and on a side road outside of Iowa City, I was involved in a fender bender. I was cited $200 for making an improper u-turn. Happy Birthday to me!

     
  • At Wed Jan 24, 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Kari, I tried to do low carb once and it just about drove me over the edge. I was driving along and saw a Hostess truck and seriously considered hijacking it! I will never do low carb again, and truck drivers everywhere are a little safer because of it!
    I remember your car accident--actually I remember several of them, hee hee! The scariest one was when the roads were covered with ice, and we came up with the brilliant plan of driving to Steak n Shake an hour away. Nothing like spinning in circles on the ice in the middle of the interstate while semis barrel up behind you! Aah, college...good times! Emily

     
  • At Thu May 28, 10:22:00 AM, Blogger Michelle Meer said…

    Strange things about me:

    I love guys with knarly hands

    I hate bobbly things like dotty raised mound patterns littler the bobbilies and closer together they are more I hate it its like a real sick in the stomach feeling I get but I love love popping bubble wrap - go

    I can climb up lots of things but down hardly anything and then only with great fortitude. even feel same coming down stairs - more unfamiliar the stair worse I feel.

    I couldn't spell well at all as a kid so that turned into a fascination with big words like triskadecaphobia and defenestration. Weird

     

Post a Comment

<< Home