On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Churches



Kevin and I were out running errands this afternoon (I finally got a new battery charger for my digital camera--very necessary after I fried the previous charger with the adapter. Oops!) Anyway, we decided to drive home a different way and found this beautiful old church on the top of a hill. While it was very pretty and had a great view of all the snowy hills in the distance, it still can't compare to my favorite church in the area (in the second photo). This ancient church was built in the 1100's and is still in good enough shape to hold church services. I have only seen it at night, and I can't wait to visit it during daylight and hopefully see the inside. I know I have said it before, but the age of buildings around here really makes my head spin!

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Jan 20, 02:24:00 PM, Blogger Tim said…

    Did you happen to be to the south a bit? That 12th century church looks familiar - one that's not far from Eidsvoll. We used to live in that area 3 years ago, in a town named Kløfta.

     
  • At Sat Jan 20, 02:40:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Tim, I can't remember the name of the town the church was in (we were here in March for a week looking for housing--everything from that trip is kind of a blur!) I know that it wasn't as far south as Eidsvoll. We had dinner at the Toten Hotel and saw this church somewhere on the drive back to Gjovik, so it is probably less than 30 km. from Gjovik. I love that there is more than one of these gorgeous old churches still standing in Norway! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home