On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Kirsten Giftekniv

















On Friday night, we went to a party at Brusveen (an old farm owned by Kevin's company, it is now used as a restaurant and inn). Brusveen is really beautiful and stately inside--even the king has stayed there a few times. The party was a farewell celebration for one of Kevin's coworkers, and wow, Norwegians really know how to send a guy off in style! Dinner was great, the wine and beer flowed freely, and the employees put together a cute song and dance number, a slide show and a really sweet scrapbook for their departing friend.
After dinner, everyone shoved that huge dining table to one end of the dining room and the dancing began. I openly admit that I am not a good dancer, and when sober, I generally refuse to go anywhere near the dance floor. But, as I said, the beer and wine were flowing freely, and I was not at all sober. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I now have a huge, throbbing bump on the bridge of my nose and two black eyes. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think at one point in the evening, my dear husband elbowed me in the face as he enthusiastically started up a conga line. Um, ow!
In addition to the uncharacteristic dancing and the ability to take a punch in the nose and keep on shimmying, lots of wine makes me very chatty. I'm usually a little shy and hesitant about using my Norwegian with Kevin's coworkers, but I talked up a storm on Friday! Everyone was very complimentary about my progress, and even joked that since Kevin doesn't speak Norwegian, now I can tell all of them secrets about him right in front of him. Because I had been plied with wine, I decided to blurt out, "Kevin har lilla undertøy!" (Kevin has purple underwear.) He doesn't, but it made everyone laugh (and Kevin blush) so I guess I cracked my first successful Norwegian joke.
I also earned the nickname of "Kirsten Giftekniv", or a matchmaker. I googled the name but all the results were in Norwegian, so I'm still a little unclear on who Kirsten Giftekniv is...I think she is maybe a character in a play? Anyway, it all started because Kevin's coworked, Freddy, is single. That's him pictured above--the first picture is from Friday night, but it is a little blurry, so I also posted a picture of him with Kevin from another evening. Most of Freddy's coworkers are older than him, and already married with kids. Gjøvik is a small town without much nightlife, so poor Freddy hasn't gotten the opportunity to meet many people. I think he is the sweetest guy, so smart and nice and funny. He's 29, has a great job, is well travelled and well educated. But he's single--it boggles my mind! The more wine I drank, the more boggled my mind became, so I told him I would try to introduce him to a nice woman. Unfortunately, the only people I know are in my norskkurs and I think the majority of them are already married. (I'll have to investigate a little further in class tomorrow.) So, if anyone knows of any eligible bachelorettes, let me know...c'mon, it's fun to be a Kirsten Giftekniv!



5 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 22, 06:06:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Re Giftekniv: You're right about the character being from a play.

    And you may as well learn to dance. Norwegians love to dance. Typical evening, that: food, booze, dancing.

    The conga line is purely American, though. What did the Norwegians think of it?

     
  • At Sun Apr 22, 07:10:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Keera, they seemed to prefer grabbing hands and racing around in a huge "Ring-Around-the-Rosy" circle. I forgot to add to my blog entry that in addition to the elbow in the face, I also wiped out pretty hard from dizziness. Luckily, I wasn't the only one to go careening across the floor! I think lots of people woke up to some nasty bruises on Saturday morning! Emily

     
  • At Mon Apr 23, 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    They don't conga. And the bruises are for you young'uns. Us old folks have learned to duck or at least hold onto furniture. ;-)

    (Gawd, all the times I've weaved my way home after getting sloshed with Norwegians. It's still fun.)

     
  • At Tue Apr 24, 06:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I found this web link, but it's in Norwegian...
    http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsten_Giftekniv

     
  • At Tue Apr 24, 08:45:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Kari, thanks for the link. My Norwegian skills are still a little lacking, so I didn't understand much other than she is a character in a play. Oh well, some day I'll be a little more literate and, oh, the things I will know! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home