On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Maybe I Love My Camera Too Much?








I love, love, love my digital camera. It's a Canon, and Kevin gave it to me for our 5th anniversary. I take it with me everywhere I go and I take way too many random photos (but the beauty of a digital camera is that every stupid, random shot I take can be erased with the click of a button).
Last Saturday, during our rain filled mountain trip, we drove over to Slettefjell. We were above the treeline for much of the drive, and there were even several large patches of snow left. The dogs absolutely love snow, so even though it was a soggy, rainy day, we decided to let them have some wintery fun sliding down a snowy hill. Kevin walked them up to the top of the hill while I stood at the bottom, trying to capture their excitement with my trusty camera. I wanted to get the right angle, so without looking behind me, I took a step backward, tripped over a rock, and landed flat on my back in a huge, icy cold puddle. (I'm guessing it was a lovely slurry of freshly melted snow and lemming pee.) Even as I fell, all I could think about was my camera, and as my whole body splashed into the puddle, my right arm reached skyward, holding my camera out of harm's way. I wallowed my way out of the puddle, soaking and freezing, but feeling very triumphant about saving my camera. Kevin found the whole incident hilarious...luckily he also had a spare change of clothes in the car, so I was able to forgive his laughter once I was wearing dry pants again.
(Oh, one other sign pointing to the fact that I might love my camera too much? I actually took a picture of the stupid puddle!)


7 Comments:

  • At Wed Jun 27, 08:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay - now you have me intrigued. What's the model on your camera? I need to get a smaller one - we have a digital SLR one and it's freakin ginormous to take.

    PS - Your camera is awesome. I blew up the picture of the fishing shacks @ Urnes to 11"x 14" and gave it to my boss and it's as clear as day even at that size. I probably could've gone up to 16"x 20" so save all your pics from Norway b/c they'll make beautiful art for your home someday!!!

     
  • At Wed Jun 27, 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Your dogs are so adorable!!! Can I borrow them????

     
  • At Wed Jun 27, 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Jen, it's a Canon Power Shot SD550. I'm so glad the fishing shacks picture turned out well!
    Vic, welcome to Norway! And yes, you may borrow the dogs any time--they enjoy chasing large, angry, wild animals and rolling in dead things. Still interested? Emily

     
  • At Thu Jun 28, 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Emily, I love your camera, too! :-) I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in the hytte, even if the weather was wet. I was a little startled when I saw the first photo of the snow, though, as it brought the memory of this last winter back, just when I had managed to forget about it. ;-) Your dogs are adorable. I hope the cats enjoyed their quiet time at home.

     
  • At Thu Jun 28, 01:55:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Michele, I know what you mean about the trauma of winter flashbacks--really, there were just small patches of snow here and there. Maybe by the end of July they'll be gone...until the beginning of September when it will all start up again. So grateful that we don't live in the mountains!
    And yes, I'm sure the cats loved their dog-free weekend, I think they might like our cat sitter more than they like me! Emily

     
  • At Thu Jun 28, 11:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emily..I also love your camera..or maybe it's just all the gorgeous pics I get to see of Norway..LOL..so glad you were able to keep it out of the puddle..oh..glad you're OK too..hehe...Rosemary

     
  • At Thu Jun 28, 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Rosemary, thanks, a little mud puddle never hurt anyone! I'll be out and about all over in Norway this summer, so hopefully I can share more photos with you soon! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home