On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Serendipity

Yesterday I met a couple of online friends, Michele (of the very amusing and thoughtful http://michelesmistakes.blogspot.com/ ) and Liz, in Oslo. Originally, I started writing my blog just to keep in touch with friends and family in the U.S. I never thought that it would lead to conversations and eventual friendships with people I didn't know at all in "real life". Honestly, I think that the people I have met (this includes you too, Victoria!) and the friendships I have made because I decided to write about my random experiences in Norway have been the best, most unexpected, gifts that the past 15 months have provided. Sure, moose and fjords and skiing down snowy mountains are all delightful, but in the end, they are just icing on the cake! (The cake being the wonderful people I have met--you all followed that metaphor, right?)
Enough of that! No one reads my little blog for the sentimental schmaltz, so on with the rambling observations:
Michele and I had lunch at a fantastic Thai restaurant, "Tasty Thai." We were seated by a large window, and midway through our meal we noticed that an infant in a baby carriage had been left unattended outside of the restaurant. It was really cold out yesterday, but the baby was well bundled up, and occasionally we could see a tiny, mittened hand reach up through the blankets. After about 10 minutes, a man returned and pushed the baby carriage on down the street...I really hope that baby did indeed belong to that man! (I remember there was a huge fuss a few years ago after a Danish woman left her baby unattended outside of a Manhattan coffee shop. I guess in Scandinavian countries, this is completely normal parenting behavior, but to my paranoid American eyes, it seems like so many awful things could happen in such a short time...Oslo is a city of 450,000 people! I can't imagine growing up with that sort of ingrained trust in humanity...)
After lunch, Michele and I met up with Liz, and we all boarded a tram (trikk). I always get excited to try something new for the first time, but I think that my first trikk ride would have been a bit more enjoyable had it not been 3:30 on Friday afternoon. The 450,000 people who I just mentioned live in Oslo? Yeah, they were all on that trikk!
Finally, we stopped by a bakery to talk and have some coffee and I was put to shame. When it comes to math, science, history or foreign affairs, eh, I'm not so smart. But if you were, say, putting together a championship Trivial Pursuit team and needed someone to answer all those tricky pink pie entertainment questions, it would be hard to find someone more informed than me. I truly believed that about myself, and then I met Liz. She knew obscure facts and salacious tidbits about every celebrity referenced in our conversation. I was in turn awed and abashed!
Anyway, I had a great time and am still glowing with gratitude...this past year has at times felt so overwhelming and so lonely, but it is amazing what a latte, a little pad thai and some good conversation with friends can do!

5 Comments:

  • At Sat Nov 03, 07:00:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    What a fabulous post! I know what you mean about starting out blogging just to keep in touch with the handful of people that might want to keep up with you. I've always been very skeptical of the internet and people who have blogs, etc, etc (bunch of lonely people who masturbate a lot - I thought). However since "meeting" my blog friends I have a very different opinion. I think this whole experience would be so much more difficult without you all. Damn you for leaving. :-)

     
  • At Sun Nov 04, 02:31:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Hehe, I've been online since 1995 and never really made it out into the real world again after that, so Internet friends suit me just fine.:p Not that I have a lot of cyber acquaintances besides you guys, but I'm so grateful I can get my American "fix" from funny, smart gals like you all. ;)

    As for leaving kids in strollers outside stores...being a childfree cynic, I do suspect the parental unit might be hoping a stranger will snatch the kid away. But more likely, it is just a holdover habit from when people didn't lock their doors, etc etc. A lot of people wouldn't do this sort of thing anymore, I believe.

    Liz

     
  • At Tue Nov 06, 02:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah - glad to see you're thankful of all the little "unexpected" wonderful things this whole experience brought you. But we still miss you here and are THRILLED you're on your way back!

     
  • At Tue Nov 06, 08:34:00 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Oh, Emily, what a beautiful post. You captured my thoughts exactly. I'm also extremely grateful for the friends I have made through blogging, and never imagined it would lead to ACTUAL, REAL-LIFE friendships. If only we all lived in the same town... Ah well, the cosmos gives, the cosmos takes away. I had a wonderful time on Friday.

    Jeez, do you think we witnessed a child abduction? Imagine! What would we have done if people started screaming and chasing that guy? I'm confused all the time about regular stuff here---I don't think I could handle a real emergency.

    Liz, you and I are so similar. Emily and I were gazing at that innocent little baby just lying alone in his pram on the street and Emily said, "Wow, someone could just walk off with him," and I said, "Why would someone do that?" :-)

     
  • At Tue Nov 06, 09:49:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, Michele and Victoria, I'm so glad I got the chance to meet all of you! You are 3 of the nicest, smartest, funniest women I have ever met and I hope our friendships continue after I leave! (And Liz, I'm still cracking up about your baby comment!)
    Jen, I can't wait to be back...I think that living abroad has made me appreciate everyone back home so much more. Not that I ever took my friendships for granted, but when I lived close to my friends (or only one time zone away, in your case) I didn't realize how much you all meant to me...now I do! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home