On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Julebord





We went to Kevin's company's Julebord party last night--lots of drinking, eating and singing. In the picture of the buffet, the third tray back is the rakfisk. Kevin had never tried rakfisk before, so he was very eager to earn his Viking horns too. The next photo is of him taking his first bite of rakfisk, and the last photo is of his priceless reaction to the very unique flavor! He tried to be very polite about it, but I think he had a bit of trouble convincing our hosts that he was a rakfisk enthusiast! After downing a couple more glasses of wine, he did manage to finish most of the rakfisk on his plate. I didn't have any rakfisk (one tiny bite several weeks ago was all I'll ever need!), but I did try some lingonberry sauce. Very yummy!

After dinner, the company gave out "awards" for the dumbest quotes and acts of the year. Kevin was nominated for moving to Norway from New York. His coworkers teased him, asking him what exactly lured him here... the bright and sunny weather, the pristine beaches, or the very affordable cost of living? It was really funny, but unfortunately Kevin lost out to a colleague who has lived in Gjovik for the past 20 years, went out cross country skiing and got lost, then had to call the office for help navigating back. We also sang Norwegian Christmas songs. This one is called "Glad Jul, Hellige Jul" and is sung to the tune of "Silent Night".

Glad Jul, Hellige Jul.

Engler daler ned i skjul.

Hit de flyver med paradisgront,

hvor de ser hva for Gud er skjont,

lonnlig i blant oss de gar--

lonnlig i blant oss de gar.

I haven't figured out how to type the o's with slashes or the a's with circles over them yet, so there are some errors. (I still can't type Gjovik properly, as the o has a slash through it. The pronounciation sounds kind of like Yervick.)

By about 11 p.m., I was absolutely exhausted and jet lagged, so I drove home. Kevin was still drinking wine and beer and whiskey and aquavit with his coworkers--I think he finally took a taxi home around 4 a.m. I guess it's official, my husband is a Viking--he willingly eats rakfisk, drinks aquavit, and stays out all night. Me, not so much! I was happily curled up on the couch with my cats, hot cocoa and a book in hand, by 11:30.

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Dec 04, 10:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Emily,

    To type the special Norwegian letters, try this:

    alt657 = æ
    alt658 = Æ
    alt155 = ø
    alt157 = Ø
    alt646 = å
    alt655 = Å

    This works for me on my Belgian keyboard. hope it works for you too.

    An

     
  • At Mon Dec 04, 01:15:00 PM, Blogger Astrid said…

    Once being abroad I was filling out some official documents and I wrote my last name which contains the famous Ø at the end. Handing the papers in I was questioned why I had crossed out the last O... it made me laugh so much!

     
  • At Tue Dec 05, 01:17:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    An, thank you so much for the tips, I was worried I would have to buy a Norwegian keyboard! Astrid, that's so funny--growing up in Iowa among tons of Norwegians and Swedes, I have always been familiar with the "crossed out O" but I can see how it could look like an error to those not in the know! Emily

     
  • At Tue Dec 05, 01:20:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    An, I just looked at your blog--I couldn't understand the language, but your photos are so beautiful! Emily

     
  • At Wed Dec 13, 09:52:00 AM, Blogger RennyBA said…

    I came to yours searching for Rakfisk just because I love it! Your post was great - thanks for sharing!
    last time I had Rakfisk was in Sweden actually, but the fish was from Norway of course:-)

     
  • At Wed Dec 13, 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Renny, I think maybe rakfisk is an acquired taste...maybe with enough practice, I'll become a rakfisk enthusiast too, though I doubt it! I will get another chance on Friday at a gingerbread baking/rakfisk eating party. I'll let you know how it goes! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home