On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, December 11, 2006

Lillehammer photos



Here are a few of the pictures I took in Lillehammer yesterday evening--funny how photos just don't turn out so well when it's dark out! All of the candle light and the decorated tree were really beautiful, but I'm afraid the pictures don't do the scene justice. So far, all the Christmas decorations that I have seen here in Norway have been fairly understated and tasteful--lots of greenery and candles and tiny white lights and advent candelabras. It has been nice not to be blinded by the glare of all those inflatable snowmen and santas that have become so popular in the U.S. over the past few years! I don't think I'll escape the tackiness entirely--we leave for Christmas in New York and New Year's Eve in North Carolina in just 11 days. Plenty of time to overdose on millions of flashing lights--my retinas are beginning to burn just thinking about it!

2 Comments:

  • At Wed Dec 13, 06:43:00 PM, Blogger Astrid said…

    Hey Emily!

    I really like you photos, they give me the right christmas spirit. I can't wait to go home to Bergen on Monday.

    Anyway, you said you were missing working for an animal shelter? Maybe you've already had a look around? I did a search to find an animal shelter close to you and the closest office of the national organisation Dyrebeskyttelsen (animal protection) is in Elverum (yes I know, it's not very close to Gjøvik but they might have contacts for a local unit. So here's the link where you can find the contact numbers. http://www.dyrebeskyttelsen-hedmark.no/kontaktinformasjon.html

    Astrid

    Ps: just thought of it as I'm persuading my parents to adopt a cat from the Dyrebeskyttelsen in Bergen.
    Hopefully I'll go and choose one with my parents next week when I'm home =)

     
  • At Thu Dec 14, 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Astrid! Thanks so much for the link! There is a rescue group in Lillehammer, but after contacting them a couple of times and getting no response, I'm wondering if the language barrier is too much for them? Or maybe they don't need any more help. But I'll definitely check out the link you sent--hopefully I'll be successful. It's so frustrating to say, "I will work really hard for FREE, doing anything you want me to do, because all I want to do is help the animals!" and no one seems to be interested.
    That's great that your parents are thinking about adopting a cat--good luck to them! And post lots of pictures of the little guy! I hope you have a wonderful trip back home, Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home