On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Tubes O' Shrimp

The picture above is of some sort of squeezable shrimp flavored cheese in a tube. The tube has been sitting unopened in our refrigerator since August--when we first got here, we went a little nuts in the grocery store and grabbed anything and everything that was new and different to us. Unfortunately, the shrimp in a tube was a little too different, as it has just been hanging out in the fridge ever since. It expires on the 9th of December, so if either of us wants to try it, we'd better get brave soon! And if we do end up liking it, there are so many squeezable cheese options out there--bacon, salmon, garlic...the list goes on and on.
I was at my friend Nina's house today, and she helped me brainstorm what I should bring back to the U.S. when I return for Christmas. My friend Amanda wants to try the brown cheese (it's brown and kind of sweet and nutty tasting--Kevin likes it, I am not yet a fan.) Nina suggested some kind of meat that is made out of the heads of pigs and then spiced with cloves! When she saw the horror on my face, she said, "Don't worry, it's not made from the brain or anything, just the meat of the cheeks and neck." Amanda, good thing you don't eat meat either, or I'd be sending a big, spiced loaf of pig face your way!
There are all kinds of gingerbreads and marzipans and other desserts in the grocery store right now, so maybe I'll just play it safe and stick to the sweets. But if I have underestimated my American friends, and any of you would like to try shrimp in a tube, or any other local delicacy, let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home