On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Happy 6th Anniversary!


Today is our 6th anniversary--on the evening of January 27. 2001, we were married at Danforth Chapel in Iowa City, Iowa. It was such a beautiful night...snow on the ground, clear skies with twinkly stars. Danforth Chapel is a tiny little chapel on the University of Iowa campus. Even though we were living in Chicago at the time, Iowa City was where we met and fell in love. I got my B.A. and M.A. at the U of I, and Kevin earned his MBA there, so it was special to us to be married in a place with so many wonderful memories. The chapel is really tiny (I remember the wedding coordinator whispering to me, "You can fit 80 people in there, but only if they are skinny people!") We managed to make room for all our guests, both skinny and, um, not so skinny, and had a romantic candlelit ceremony. My parents' song was "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago, so we managed to find the sheet music for the harpist and she played that for the recessional. Kevin was so sweet, tearing up during our vows. In my usual goofy style, I was trying hard not to giggle--we chose some traditional Quaker vows and there were lots of "thees" and "thous" that I couldn't quite manage with a straight face. It was the most perfect night, from the ceremony to the reception--it was amazing to look around the room and see the faces of everyone we love, and realize that they all travelled long distances just to celebrate our wedding with us. I was overwhelmed and overjoyed that night, and I still am when I think back about it today.
6 years have passed and we have had our share of ups and downs. This past year has been especially challenging, but I think we are well on our way to creating a full and happy life in Norway. Unfortunately, Kevin will be spending our anniversary somewhere in the sky as he flies home from New York. We will celebrate tomorrow, so I have been busy making some special treats in the kitchen and madly cleaning the house. (By the way, getting squirted in the face by the bidet while you are cleaning it is not a good time! I have never had one of these contraptions before and we never use it, but from time to time I think it needs to be cleaned. All I can say is eeewwww, between gargles of mouthwash!)
I know in the grand scheme of things, 6 years isn't all that long. 25 years, 50 years, those are accomplishments! I love my husband more and more with every passing year, and I want to grow old and gray(er) with him. No one knows what the future holds, but I desperately hope that it includes us celebrating our golden anniversary in 2051, surrounded again by all those we love.
(Sorry for all the sappiness today--I promise my next post will be full of caustic wit and sarcasm!)

18 Comments:

  • At Sat Jan 27, 04:44:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy Anniversary!!! Hope all is well and you guys have a good time when Kevin gets back. Sorry he didn't have any time to visit out here. Hope it warms up out there. Oh, I started a blog too:
    http://fotcb.blogspot.com/

    Say Hi to Kevin for me.

    Craig

     
  • At Sat Jan 27, 08:03:00 PM, Blogger My Ming Mei said…

    Happy Anniversary! I remember your wedding. It was so beautiful.

     
  • At Sat Jan 27, 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Craig, thanks! I'll be back at the end of Feb. (probably without Kevin) and I can't wait to see you guys! For now, I'll go catch up on your new blog!

    Carrie, thank you! I'm so glad you were standing at the alter by my side!

    Emily

     
  • At Sat Jan 27, 11:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!!! :)Gratulerer med dagen!!

     
  • At Sun Jan 28, 01:04:00 AM, Blogger Open Roads Mama said…

    Congrats on your Anniversary! 6 years is a long time, but not long when you look in a lifetime perspective, there are may more to come! :-)

     
  • At Sun Jan 28, 03:21:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Thank you very much for the kind words, Ola and Sue! Emily

     
  • At Sun Jan 28, 07:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy anniversary Emily. I know it will be easy for me to remember this next year because jan 27 happened to be my birthday. :-) That is such a funny coincidence. Then again, there are thousands of people getting married everyday so I shouldn't be too surprised. But you are the first couple that I know. So that makes it special. So once again, congratulation. I hope you will have great time together for many many more years to come.

    Gita

     
  • At Sun Jan 28, 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Happy birthday, Gita!!! I hope you had a great day, Emily

     
  • At Sun Jan 28, 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Astrid said…

    Happy anniversary Emily and Kevin!!!

    How long have you been together all in all?

     
  • At Sun Jan 28, 08:00:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Thanks Astrid! We dated for 11 months before we got engaged, and then were engaged for 7 months before we got married. (It's amazing how quickly you can plan a wedding in January--there's no competition for services, and everyone is so excited to be getting some business in the winter.) Emiily

     
  • At Mon Jan 29, 01:49:00 AM, Blogger TorAa said…

    When you read this, Kevin is well back in Gjøvik, and the 6th anniversary well celebrated. I hope.

    Must be kind of a chock to suddenly start a new life in a small town like Gjøvik. In spite I live in Oslo, I've only been twice to your new hometown, so I really can't figure out what that's like.

    PS. You are a good writer

     
  • At Mon Jan 29, 03:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you guys!

    All the best,
    Steve and Jen

     
  • At Mon Jan 29, 07:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy 6th Anniversary. Wishing you only the best for always

    With love,

    Dad & Maria

     
  • At Mon Jan 29, 08:25:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Toraa, thanks for the kind words! Gjovik hasn't been too much of a culture shock--everyone we have met has been very welcoming. Of course I still get homesick from time to time, but it is abating with time. We love visiting Oslo, it's such a beautiful city with so much to do.

    Jen and Steve, thank you very much! We had a nice, laid back day (and ate way too much chocolate!)

    Dad and Maria, thanks so much for thoughtful words. Kevin and I are reading all of these kind notes together right now, and it is wonderful to hear from the people we love!

    Emily

     
  • At Tue Jan 30, 01:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    A lovely way to keep in touch, your blog is.


    To hear about your life in the great north countries is like sharing it with you.


    Life in the peninsula of Florida is becoming cold in these late January days. It is to be 20 degrees Fahrenheit tonight. This is not cold by Norwegian standards but it could snow if the clouds and moisture cooperate, but they will not. Snow hereabouts is extremely rare, like fur on chickens. We tried to cover our plants, which is quite hard to do, and also we have orchids that have taken root in the trees. We may lose them all.


    Maria is working and has made a schedule to retire soon on so-called social security. This may mean that our entertainment will be watching the male lizards trying to attract females or watching Animal Planet and Cops on TV.


    I learned how to make Spanish rice and beans and roast pork shoulder called "pernil". A good meal, even without the meat, for you vegans.


    I love you.


    Enjoy beautiful Norway.


    Dad

     
  • At Tue Jan 30, 04:19:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    I am also excited about the blog--I always felt bad about loading everyone's email inbox up with big photos, so this is a nice way to share photos and stories and not create unwanted inbox overload.

    Wow, 20 degrees in Florida--the world has gone topsy turvy! Actually, due to the gulf stream, it doesn't usually get colder than that where we are, although way up north in Sami country it is positively frigid!

    If you and Maria are looking for ways to make retirement more entertaining, we can always send you our old Pimsleur method CDs and you can start learning Norwegian in preparation for your nordic vacation!
    Love, Emily

     
  • At Tue Jan 30, 10:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Anniversary! Your wedding was a fabulous winter wonderland!

     
  • At Wed Jan 31, 08:44:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Thanks Kari! (Yours was absolutely gorgeous too!) Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home