On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, January 29, 2007

Progress

Kevin is back safely and we enjoyed a nice day together on Sunday, eating way too much chocolate (more me than Kevin) and unpacking all the American loot. He brought cat treats for all the kitties, and a bunch of my favorite groceries that we can't find here. Reeses Peanut Butter cups--yum! Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful anniversary wishes!

In Norwegian class today, we were discussing how long we have lived in Norway. I arrived in mid-August, and sometimes I feel like I should be more acclimated to my surroundings by now. I made a mental list of the things that I have learned since moving here, and I feel a little better now. Here are a couple of my accomplishments:
When at the grocery store and asked if I want a "pose" (bag), I don't freeze like a deer in the headlights. I now know to say "Ja, takk." And if the cashier suggests 2 pose, I know to ask for 4 pose. Even though you have to pay for grocery bags here, the cashiers are very stingy with them, and I have found that as a rule, you always need 2 more bags than are suggested if you don't want to walk out of the store with some of your groceries tucked under your arms.
I have finally memorized the rules of the road. You must yield to cars coming from the right, and now I instinctively slow down at every intersection and check to see if someone is speeding towards me. That is a very important accomplishment--in the first weeks we were here, I got into many near accidents because I couldn't remember this crucial traffic law. And rotaries? Piece of cake!
I am able to complete entire transactions at pizza parlors, stores and the movie theater in Norwegian. I'm sure I get tenses and genders wrong, but I know lots of vocabulary words now and I'm not afraid to use them!
I can't get too smug yet about my linguistic ability--I went to the post office today to mail a letter to the U.S. I took my number and waited to be called, then confidently marched up to the window and said, "Jeg vil acheter a stamp." "Jeg vil" is Norwegian for "I want", "acheter" is French for "to buy" and "a stamp" is English, obviously, for "a stamp". I don't know how the French snuck in, but I have noticed that when I'm mentally searching for a word, French will pop into my head. I have no idea why, I haven't taken a French class since 1996! The lady behind the counter gave me a very puzzled look, but she also sold me a stamp, so maybe she's used to dealing with confused foreigners?
Despite my embarrassing little language setback today, I really do feel like I have learned so much in my Norwegian class. I love the melodic way the language rises and falls, I love the sound of the rolled r's, I love the 3 extra vowels thrown in at the end of the alphabet. I am excited to go to class every day and I can't wait to be able to speak fluently.
The first few months in Norway were so frustrating--I couldn't understand anything, I didn't know where different businesses were, I was kind of scared to drive anywhere, and I was homesick all the time. I still have moments of homesickness, but they are less frequent and they pass more quickly. I am feeling less and less like an observer of Norwegian society and more like a participant. I may not know how to buy stamps yet, but I have come a long way in the last 5 months!

5 Comments:

  • At Tue Jan 30, 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Astrid said…

    I really recognised myself in your words.

    I think it's important to value what we accomplish along the way. Coming to a new place, a new country it's impossible to be functioinal straight away. Only after some time you can really start "living" because you know your way around, where to find what etc. It does take a lot of effort and courage to carry on with all the ups and downs. However, every little accomplishment feels so much bigger in this context. I remember finding my way with car and map to the tax office in milan, did what I needed to do and afterwards I was so proud of myself. It had been a challenge but I did it all alone in a very messy town with crazy car drivers!

    Well done on your norwegian!!

     
  • At Tue Jan 30, 11:54:00 AM, Blogger *Pat* said…

    Oh, these might be preliminary lessons for me, thank emily:)Your posts are always smart and nice ones and very useful for a norvegian to be like me (still have to keep fingers crossed for the last answers uh!).

    Astrid, you are even better than me, living in Milano I'd never try to move by car in downtown! My compliments, as an Itaian living in Milan I can really say you are even better than "milanesi" are:)

    Pat

     
  • At Tue Jan 30, 04:12:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Astrid, thanks for the encouragement! I think you are very brave to have lived in so many different places and done so well! It is really hard to completely start over in a new culture!

    Pat, good luck, I hope you are able to become an honorary Norwegian too! It is difficult at first, but I have found everyone I have met here to be very helpful and accomodating. I still think that homesickness has been the worst thing I have had to deal with, everything else has just been minor snags and hassles which have been easy enough to work through.
    Emily

     
  • At Wed Jan 31, 08:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Emily,
    I enjoy your blog! My native language is English also, but I speak Spanish. In my studies, I came across a study that showed that when learning a new language, one didn't necessarily revert to his/her native language, they reverted to the most recent language they studied. Thus, in studying French, I would revert to Spanish, not English. In learning Norwegian, you revert to French, not English. I don't remember the name of the study, but I remember reading it.
    Thanks for your fun blog!
    Kehla

     
  • At Wed Jan 31, 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Kehla, thanks for the nice compliments and thanks for the info about the study. I'm glad to know my brain isn't malfunctioning! Oh well, I guess it means that I haven't forgotten as much French as I thought I had! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home