On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Few Oslo Photos





I don't have too much to write about today. Everything is fine, I'm going to class and learning Norwegian (then promptly forgetting half of it as I walk out the classroom door), enjoying the snow, taking care of the beasties... nothing exciting or blog-worthy. Instead, I'll post a few pictures I took in Oslo last March. The first is a view from a hill looking down towards Oslo and Oslofjord. The next two are of the Holmenkollen ski jump. The jump was used in the 1952 Olympics in Oslo, as well as in yearly ski contests and championships. I love to ski (albeit very badly) but I can't imagine looking at that monster and thinking that maybe it would be a good time to tempt death and plunge over the edge (though I would love to watch other brave souls in action). I hear that there are some magnificent views from the tower--I'm a little nervous of heights, so I think that just going up to the tower and peeking out is all the "extreme sports" I could handle!

Speaking of extreme sports, Oslo isn't the only place to risk life and limb for an icy thrill. My own home state of Iowa is becoming known for frozen silo climbing. If you want to learn more about the lunacy among the corn fields, click here: http://www.redding.com/news/2007/jan/14/climbing-grows-on-spires-of-ice/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home