On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, February 05, 2007

Reincarnation


I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I really miss American TV! I know there are far worthier ways I should spend my time, but sometimes I just want to veg out on the couch with a Diet Coke (not a Coca Cola Light), a big bowl of popcorn, and watch "Saturday Night Live" or "The Daily Show" or "Oprah" or "Ellen" or one of the many, entertaining, fluffy sitcoms that I used to love to watch. There are a few shows I can still get in Norway--Tuesday nights, if I'm willing to stay up late enough, I can see Gray's Anatomy and King of Queens. On Wednesday nights, Gilmore Girls and Ugly Betty are on. Jay Leno and Conan are on CNBC every night, but after my bedtime.
Instead of just accepting the fact that we won't be able to watch our favorite shows most nights, Kevin and I obsessively flip, flip, flip through the channels, sure that we will find something mindless and amusing and in English. Unfortunately, Norwegian television is pretty educational. (It is unfortunate when you just want to veg. Obviously educational programming is far superior to trash TV, but sometimes, trash TV is all I want!) We get several news networks, including CNN, BBC news and Al Jazeera. We also get several Discovery channels, Travel channels, cooking channels and Animal Planet. Last night, we finally surrendered the hope that we might find "The Simpsons" and started watching a documentary about humpback whales.
I remembered a comment that Kevin's grandmother once made. She said if there is such a thing as reincarnation, she would like to come back as a seagull and poop on the heads of everyone she didn't like! I told Kevin that I think I would like to come back as a humpback whale. They're huge, so they probably don't have to worry about predators, they're endangered, so people aren't allowed to hurt them, and they get to swim and sing and breach in the ocean all day--what a life! I asked Kevin what he would like to come back as, and he replied, "A crow, because they use tools." Hmm, I think someone is really missing Lowe's and the Home Depot! Of course, I couldn't just accept this answer to my hypothetical question, so I tried to convince him that he should come back as a humpback whale too, and then we could swim around together. He said, "I vowed til death do us part for this life only, I'm not signing up for another round of crazy in the next life!" I'm kidding, he didn't actually say that, but he did give me a look which was not too difficult to interpret! In the end, he was a good husband who humored me and said, "Okay, we can be humpback whales and swim around together." After 6 years of marriage, he has learned well! His response kept me quiet and happy and he was rewarded with another 10 minutes of un-interrupted TV viewing enjoyment!

9 Comments:

  • At Mon Feb 05, 05:38:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    You need a VCR. That's how I keep up with my favorites that come on at odd hours of the day/night.

    But yeah, nothing else on, and next thing you know, you're learning about bridges, Chinese sailors and rituals involving ants.

     
  • At Mon Feb 05, 08:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I could figure out the technology, we could electronically send you the shows we TiVo...there is some way, but it is far beyond my knowledge. Anyone?? (I know that the US VCR's are different than the European ones, so even if we did VCR tape for you, you couldn't properly view them...are the DVD systems different too?)

    It sounds like a nice plan -- to be reincarnated as a humpback whale. I personally would have to choose a manatee -- I don't know if John would be so willing to join me in the manatee lifestyle, though.

     
  • At Mon Feb 05, 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Tim said…

    We have Viasat, which features all and more of the shows you've mentioned on the TV3's and other channels. I'd consider dumping Canal Digital, if that's what you have. We tried it first, and didn't like it. Although, unless you have a good antenna, you won't get in TV Norge.

     
  • At Mon Feb 05, 08:48:00 PM, Blogger Tim said…

    Oh yes, BTW - in response to Kari and yourself, most modern DVD / VCR players will play tapes or DVD's universally. Friends and family have sent us a few tapes and they played just fine. The days of the old PAL and NSTC formats are fading in the dust.

     
  • At Mon Feb 05, 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    We don't have a VCR any more, sadly. We do have a DVD player, but it won't play American DVDs. (We thought we were being clever and saving tons of money by buying a DVD/TV combo--ends up we weren't clever or thrifty at all, as it won't play any of our DVDs!) Thanks for the tip about Viasat, Tim. It is crazy that we have so many channels on Canal, but literally nothing to watch. Of course, if I were wise, I would use this opportunity to wean myself off of TV and use the time more productively--that probably won't happen, though! Emily

     
  • At Wed Feb 07, 02:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My, er, take on reincarnation is that we do it in groups that you might call a family. Well, sort of... like a fingernail is part of the body's family...but I digress. The whale types and 4-legged intelligentia are probably in a separate line of evolvement.
    Anyway, that whale picture sort of looks like a sinking tugboat. Whales are very impresive up close. See some on a whale cruise if you get a chance.

    Love your snow pictures. I miss it here in Florida.
    Dad

     
  • At Wed Feb 07, 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    We have taken a couple of whale watching cruises--one from Salem, Mass. and one from Cheticamp in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. The first was a huge boat on choppy seas, and I got up close and personal with a whale as I leaned over the railing and got horrifically seasick. The cruise from Cheticamp was a tiny motor boat--I think there were maybe 10 of us in all. We saw tons of minke whales, so close I could almost have reached out and touched one. It was amazing (and Kevin proposed to me later in the day at Cape Breton Highlands National Park) so it was definitely one of the very best days of my life! Emily

     
  • At Wed Feb 07, 09:06:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Emily, your DVD player may not be "sonefri". DVDs are sold specified to certain zones to protect home markets. Zone 1 is the US and zone 2 is Europe, so DVD players sold here are set for zone 2 and won't play zone 1 automatically. Hunt the net or ask at the store you bought the player at for a way to unlock the pre-set and make it zone-free.

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 02:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keera, thanks for the tip! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home