On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Wacky (and Delicious) America

While waiting here at the airport for my flight back to Oslo, I have had a chance to reflect on the last couple of weeks in the U.S. I had a great time and am still very happy and excited to be moving back, but with all due respect, the U.S. is kind of food-crazy! On our Delta flight out to the midwest, our rather eccentric flight attendant made a speech about juvenile diabetes...she then proceeded to hand out sugary candy to further raise awareness about the disease. Isn't that akin to handing out cigarettes to raise lung cancer awareness? I cracked up (as I gobbled down the sweets)! In Iowa, we went to a restaurant that advertised deep fat fried macaroni and cheese nugget appetizers. As I was laughing about the insane amount of saturated fat that must be in each congealed, cheesy morsel, my friend Cathy told me that she had recently seen a Paula Dean cooking show where Paula taught her viewers to whip up deep fat fried pats of butter! Seriously!?!? And I still can't get over how many new candy products have emerged on the market since I first moved to Norway. Mint flavored 3 Musketeers, Take 5 bars, a soft, cakey version of Oreos...the list goes on and on. (No, I didn't actually sample all of these treats, I just noticed them in the grocery store. I swear.) Anyway, I'm off to the land of rakfisk and lutefisk now...hmm, maybe that deep fried butter doesn't sound so weird after all!

2 Comments:

  • At Tue Oct 09, 02:21:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Oh, I hear you - my idea of heaven is the cereal aisle in an American supermarket. My idea of hell is the one in your average Norwegian grocery store. Ok, so that's a slight exaggeration, but every time I go to the US, I make it a point to try as many of the new products they have come up with since last time as I can, or at least bring some home with me. :) The more wacky flavors, the better! Mmm, Chubby Hubby...

    Liz

     
  • At Wed Oct 10, 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, I know! I love cereal, I could eat it for every meal, and there are probably 10 new cereals on the market since we moved to Norway. I can't wait to move back and grab a spoon! Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home