On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Maybe I Should Have Studied a Little Harder?

Everyone knows you're not supposed to go to the grocery store hungry, but I did, and I made a few impulse purchases. I generally try to stay away from junk food (unless it's chocolate, which is heart healthy, right?) but in the salty snacks aisle I had a moment of weakness and grabbed a bag of potato chips. The bag advertised that these particular chips were the reduced salt variety, so I put them in my shopping cart feeling not too guilty. I mean, sure, they were packed full of fat, but less sodium is a good thing! Later, while checking email, I was idly snacking on my chips when I realized that my lips were starting to tingle from the saltiness. I was kind of surprised--if this is what a reduced-salt chip tastes like, how crazy salty is the full-salt version? And then I looked at the bag again, and realized my error. It was labeled "Hav Salt." In Norwegian, "halv" means "half" but "hav" means "sea." I wasn't eating "Half Salt" potato chips, I was eating "Sea Salt" potato chips, hence all the brine! Oops! Now I'm feeling quite stupid (and I'm retaining all kinds of fluid!) so I think I'll back away from the bag of chips. I think I'll also back away from the computer--my puffy, sodium filled fingers are making all kinds of typos anyway!

3 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 06, 01:38:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Oops! We do have reduced fat snacks and potato chips of various kinds, including Pringles of course, but Norwegians like their salt... I've never seen the equivalent of "low sodium" on a label here, I think.

    Liz

     
  • At Tue Oct 29, 06:49:00 AM, Blogger kristinahojholt said…

    Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for rookie blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.
    demolition manchester

     
  • At Mon Mar 13, 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    Great Info!! I found this type of amazing article for everyone here is the link https://medium.com/@samjoness92332

     

Post a Comment

<< Home