On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Foraging for Food


We had some of Kevin's colleagues over for dinner on Sunday night, and I took the opportunity to get advice about things to see and do while my mom and friends are here. We were advised that the 17th of May (Norway's Independence Day) is best seen in Oslo, so I have booked a hotel room there. We are also going to take them to Jostedal National Park to see the glacier, to the fjords, to the Oslo museums, to Lillehammer...I really want this to be the perfect vacation for them, I want to show them everything that is special and beautiful about Norway. Sadly, I already know that my mom is going to be sorely disappointed. She keeps talking about seeing hedgehogs and red spotted mushrooms on her visit. I also would love to see a hedgehog, but in the 8 1/2 months that we have lived here, I haven't seen a single one. I have seen the beautiful red mushrooms with the white spots in our yard, and they look just like the toadstools in fairy tale books. I asked our dinner guests if the mushrooms would pop up by the middle of May and was told no, they don't appear until autumn. And then I was quickly told, "But don't eat them, they are highly poisonous!" This is the fourth time I have been told by someone to not eat the spotted mushrooms. Do I really look like the kind of person who, while out for a walk in the woods, would randomly start eating things from the forest floor? I am much too scared of bugs to even pluck something out of the earth, let alone pop it in my mouth! I freely admit that common sense isn't always my forte. I have run with scissors, I have talked to strangers, and I have even eaten a container of yogurt a day past its expiration date. But I have never foraged for dinner under a log!

(That being said, I am totally excited to go mushroom hunting this fall. But obviously I will take anything I find to the mushroom checking station. And of course I will make Kevin do the actual picking and carrying--again, I'm really scared of accidentally touching a bug! I'm sure he can't wait to be my mushroom slave!)

6 Comments:

  • At Tue May 01, 12:51:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Wrong. 17th of May celebrations are best seen in Bergen. Actually, they're best seen on TV and they always broadcast from Oslo because of the royal family. I'm baffled that locals wouldn't want you to see their own celebration.

    "Fluesopp". Gorgeous, but deadly. There, 5th person to tell you. :-)

     
  • At Tue May 01, 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Keera Ann Fox said…

    Re hedgehogs: Go out at dusk and you may encounter them snuffling around in the semi-dark. But they'll scamper off if they spot you and are hard to track since they easily disappear in the grass.

     
  • At Tue May 01, 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Keera, the rationale for Oslo was that we would get to see the greatest variety of bunad there, and the parade would probably be a lot more impressive than tiny Gjovik.
    Thanks for the tip about hedgehog spotting. There are lots of cats that wander around here, so I wonder if that's why I haven't seen any? Maybe I have just been looking at the wrong time, but I'll definitely be watching for them tonight at dusk! Emily
    P.S. Thanks for the warning about the fluesopp--too bad, they look so delicious! :-)

     
  • At Thu May 03, 08:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Too bad that morels aren't bright red,,maybe I could find them then..LOL Yes,it is morel season here in Iowa and we are on the hunt for the ever elusive 'shroom..ahthough I don't eat them..I'm more the "catch and release" type..Tom, however, will eat any and all that I may "catch". LOL Which to date, is ZERO!!

     
  • At Thu May 03, 11:30:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Rosemary! Ooh, morels, I remember how good those are! I hope you find lots this year! Emily

     
  • At Fri Feb 03, 08:08:00 PM, Blogger S. Erik said…

    kiessfalStein Erik from Bristol, Rhode Island.

    I miss Norway and Gjøvik every day!!!
    You are lucky to be there. Be sure to pick the wild blueberries in the forest of Hovdetoppen by Fastland when they really taste good in
    Juy-August. You'll get a blue - and sweet mouth - before you come out of the hill. ENJOY!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home