On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Friday, November 09, 2007

Acclimation

When I talked with Kevin last night, he mentioned that he had experienced a bit of culture shock in New York. He went to the local Wegman's to stock up on groceries but quickly became overwhelmed and had to leave! He said he was kind of tired, and the size of the store and the myriad of choices were just too much for him. Our local grocery store in Gjøvik reminds me a lot of Aldi's--small and dingy with the cans and boxes of food still sitting in their shipping cartons. (Of course if the prices were similar to Aldi's, I wouldn't complain, but alas, they are not.) Personally, I am excited about bright, spacious super markets with attractively presented food, but I will make sure that the first time I go to Wegman's I am well rested and mentally prepared for the food extravaganza within!
(At least we won't have to adjust to a new climate--Kevin said it is really cold and it even snowed in New York yesterday.)

4 Comments:

  • At Fri Nov 09, 05:45:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    I love American supermarkets too; have never been to Wegman's though, it's a geographical issue. :) You do get overwhelmed, but in a good way! But we have some very big and very nice ones in Norway as well, albeit maybe not in Gjøvik...

    Liz

     
  • At Fri Nov 09, 07:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, define snow...it basically was a dusting, but it has hovering around the freezing mark. Sorry you can't join us tonight. We'll be thinking about ya.

    How is packing going?

    Craig

     
  • At Sat Nov 10, 10:38:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Liz, we have a pretty decent grocery store in our local mall, but I can't get over the popularity of Rimi and Rema 1000--eew! I am most excited about being able to get sushi at the grocery store in New York...that was definitely not something easily obtained in Gjøvik!
    Craig, I hope you had fun with Kevin. I can't wait to see you guys! Emily

     
  • At Tue Nov 12, 07:32:00 AM, Blogger kristinahojholt said…

    Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Kudos!
    demolition manchester

     

Post a Comment

<< Home