On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Monday, November 26, 2007

Epilogue


I can't take credit for the lovely photo above. A friend who lives in Gjøvik snapped it from his veranda early one morning. I love all the twinkly lights and the dramatic sunrise over Lake Mjøsa, and I thought it was an appropriate picture for my last post.

Everything is fine--the animals and I all made it safely back to New York two weeks ago, and Kevin joined us a week later. Making a trans-Atlantic flight with pets is not fun, and while the whole process was taken care of by the pet moving company on the voyage to Norway, on the way back to the U.S., I was responsible for transporting the animals to the airport cargo area. Since I didn't witness the loading procedure on the first trip, I was a bit shocked to learn that my beloved animals would be stacked on pallets and hoisted by forklift onto a semi. I lost it as Kermit yelped while the truck door was being lowered, and as I watched the semi drive off towards the awaiting plane, I really questioned my decision to put my animals through this trauma. I traveled on the same plane and was so relieved that at least they had a smooth ride--there was virtually no turbulence. Once I landed in Newark, I called the pet moving company and was reassured that all the animals were just fine and had made it through U.S. Customs with no problems. (All that worry about the malfunctioning microchip was totally unnecessary--Customs barely even glanced at their health documents!) The pets were delivered to the new house healthy and relatively calm and happy, and I am so grateful!
The transport of the furniture didn't go quite as smoothly--the movers didn't finish in time, so the date for the container pick-up was delayed by another week. It is now scheduled to arrive at our house in New York on Christmas day--I guess lounging by the tree and sipping cocoa in my pajamas isn't in the cards this year! Also, even though we actually got rid of a lot of our stuff before the move, somehow our possessions didn't all fit on the container. We have skis, snowshoes, patio furniture, a porch swing and a bunch of tools still in Norway. Hopefully it will be shipped seperately to the U.S., but really, it can all be replaced. The animals made it safely, Kevin and I made it safely, and that's all I care about!
My Norwegian experience was sometimes wonderful and amazing and sometimes lonely and terrible, but I am definitely better for it. I met some incredible friends, I saw some truly breathtaking sights, I learned (kind of!) a new language, and I stepped way out of my comfort zone. Now I'm moving on and embracing my new life in New York. I won't be writing at this site any longer, but if you want to continue reading about American expat adventures in Norway, I highly recommend the insightful and hilarious blogs of Michele http://michelesmistakes.blogspot.com/ and Victoria http://victoriasguidetonorway.blogspot.com/ . And if you would like to see some gorgeous photos of Norway, my favorite photo journal is http://blog.thomaslaupstad.com/ . And finally, if you would like to keep up with me and Kevin and the critters (and all of our missteps and mishaps) I plan to continue writing at http://lakesidereflections.blogspot.com/ .

13 Comments:

  • At Mon Nov 26, 09:16:00 AM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Yay Emily!!! I'm so glad you are doing well. Still sorry to hear about the complications with your furniture and stuff though. Ok, I'm on my way to check out your new blog. :-)

     
  • At Mon Nov 26, 10:22:00 AM, Blogger Astrid said…

    Happy to hear you made it back to the US safe and sound!

    Oh and I'm really happy you will continue writing :)

     
  • At Mon Nov 26, 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Hi Emily! It's terrible to see your pets being treated like so much luggage, isn't it? Hey, though, with most airlines nowadays, people aren't treated much better! :-) Glad everybody made it home in one piece and is settling in nicely.

    I can't believe your furniture a) didn't all fit in the container and, b) is scheduled to arrive on Christmas! Dude, bummer! So funny how we both said last year that getting your container was "like" Christmas. For you, it'll BE Christmas.

    If you need any help storing or sending your remaining things, just say the word. We miss you!

     
  • At Tue Nov 27, 02:51:00 AM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Thanks for the update and for the link to your new blog! I'm glad you all made it there in one piece...and I hope you aren't sleeping on the floor until your stuff arrives!?

    Take care!

     
  • At Wed Nov 28, 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi, it's not too bad without the furniture--we have a Murphy bed in the in-law suite at least, and I ran to the store to buy the animals beds and toys, so we'll manage until Christmas. It will be pretty exciting to have a table and chairs again, though! Emily

     
  • At Fri Mar 21, 03:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't know if you're still blogging or even check this anymore, but I just wanted to say my daughter's name is Emily Gjovik! LOL! Just happened by your blog doing a google seach on her name. It looks beautiful there.

    Cheers,
    Emily Gjovik's mom, Deanna

     
  • At Fri Mar 21, 05:30:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Deanna, hi, I get an email every time I get a comment, so I do occasionally check this site. What a funny coincidence--so is your family of Norwegian descent? And how do you pronounce the last name? Is it pronounced YER-vik like the town? Emily

     
  • At Sun May 25, 01:46:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow - how beautiful! Came here via Hexe and know Astrid, it will be great to read your story.

     
  • At Tue May 27, 03:06:00 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Expat Traveler, welcome and thanks for commenting! I had a chance to read a bit of your blog--your photos are stunning! Emily

     
  • At Tue Aug 25, 11:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gosh, I'm sorry I haven't responded to your comment cause I didn't see it until now. I hope you get this message! My husband's dad was Norwegian, and I suspect if we were in Norway the name would be pronounced like the town, however, it has become Americanized over the years and we do pronounce it Joe-Vick...the G is silent.
    Sorry for the late, LATE response. Hope all is well for you.
    Deanna Gjovik

     
  • At Sat Sep 05, 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hi Deanna, yep, I did get your comment--thanks! All is well here, glad to be back home in the US. Traveling is fun, but it's wonderful to have a familiar home base! I'm sure I'll return to Norway from time to time, though...
    Emily

     
  • At Tue Jun 07, 06:37:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    So you have a new blog, will check it out if I can find any more interesting posts like and other in this blog.

    moving services

     
  • At Mon Mar 19, 01:29:00 PM, Anonymous Tammy said…

    Hello Emily,

    I am trying to contact you to let you know that we published you in our magazine as a useful/interesting blog. Please contact us.

    Thanks,

    Tammy
    press@ouramazingnorway.com
    OurAmazingNorway.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home