On Top Of The World

From the prairie to the fjords (with a few stops along the way.)

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sobriety is Overrated!

Yesterday, Michele (of http://michelesmistakes.blogspot.com/ ) and her husband Ian drove up from Sandefjord for a visit. A few of my Norwegian friends stopped by too and soon we were all sitting around, drinking wine and talking. The conversation was mostly in English but we did flip flop between English and Norwegian. The funny thing is that I had many glasses of wine but I understood everything that was said in Norwegian, and I was able to speak without agonizing over every word. (I remember thinking to myself, in my tipsy state, "Holy crap, I'm keeping up with the conversation! Woo hoo!") I wonder if my biggest obstacles to fluency have been my embarrassment about my funny accent and grammar mistakes, and my constant worry that I might misunderstand what others were saying. The alcohol erased any shame or self-consciousness I had and I babbled away. Maybe if I had consumed a pre-norskkurs cocktail every day, I'd be talking like a native by now! (At the very least, it would have made all the goofy songs we had to sing a lot more amusing!)

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Nov 11, 02:31:00 PM, Blogger CFLiz said…

    Hey, you never know when knowing Norwegian might come in handy, even back in the US. ;) I'm glad you had a good time with Michele and Ian, and I hope your big trip/move tomorrow goes well, and won't be too much of a pain!

    best,
    Liz

     
  • At Sun Nov 11, 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Yes - glad you had a good weekend!!! I hope everything goes smoothly - please write as soon as your settled in!

     
  • At Thu Nov 28, 04:59:00 AM, Blogger kristinahojholt said…

    I have to express my admiration for your kind-heartedness for individuals who really want guidance on this content. Your personal commitment to passing the message all-around has been certainly good and have surely encouraged women just like me to reach their goals. Your personal warm and helpful advice signifies a whole lot a person like me and even further to my office colleagues. Best wishes; from everyone of us.
    demolition manchester

     

Post a Comment

<< Home